Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 383l+ color version, almost 12 with no real result  (Read 8254 times)

ALTayer

Atik 383l+ color version, almost 12 with no real result
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:37 pm »
I'm writing this topic with anger, disappointment and depression.

I bought my Atik more than a year ago. It was used.

I bought it form a guy owns apogee, sbig and atik cameras and a pretty awesome automated-dome observatory. 

anyway, first I used the camera with my old SW NEQ6. I tried it and it was good. When I took a 60s sub it should be the colors pretty will with M57 with dark background using Artemis. It was just a try before I sell my NEQ6+ 10" cf newt and buy CGEM DX 11" HD few months later.

After that, I started using the mount+ auto guiding. When I shot A picture with Artemis and try to see the colors, the subs will be washed out with green color usually or others. depends on the offset values I use. Bought Nebulosity 3, started shooting. but the subs looks like been taking buy mono ccd.

Buy doing some processing, the image debayering won't come right. tried so many matrix pattern, and every time the picture is washed up with some color.

even when I look at the histogram. the graph doesn't seem to be right, It's lie got two humps.

Tried imaging with F/10 and F/2 (hyperstar) with and without LP filter (Astronomik - CLS Light Pollution Filter- CCD ) still after capturing completed, I only see disappointment.

here are two different subs for M31 and M 13, each 120s taken at F/2 without LP filter yesterday:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vfp17itiw6ics6p/M13_001.fit

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a2419x10hswh25c/M31_001.fit

Can Atik make service for the camera? or any other shop?

Atik's pictures tempted me to buy it. But not anymore, not without me taking those pictures.

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
Re: Atik 383l+ color version, almost 12 with no real result
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »
Hi Al.. I think the only issue you are having is figuring out what the bayer offset is needed for the software that you are using. Each program (Nebulosity, DSS, Maxim) uses a different routine.
When looking at your image straight from the camera in Nebulosity it will appear in grey scale until you de-bayer the image. Once done, then you have to click on adjust the offset.
I no longer use a OSC so I do not know what the de-bayer offset is for the 383 OSC.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

ALTayer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »
thx for the reply

But Artemis weirdly doesn't seem to figure out the tight pattern although it was doing it tight when I first started working with my Atik 383l.

you gave me some hope,

one question, in Artemis when I go to "Colour menu" and choose e.g Luminance , will it affect the final image?

with my Atik OSC, what is the best option?

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33:52 pm »
The fits files look to me as though they have already been stretched and to the point where one of the colour channels has been clipped to white.

You can only debayer linear unstretched images. There are only 4 bayer patterns to choose from and one will be right. The others will either leave the bayer matrix in view OR swap two of the colour channels.

Dont expect the debayered image to be properly colour balanced even without a light polution filter in the mix. Skyglow is not neutral and will impart a colour shift and possibly a gradient to boot.

Artemis Capture is a fine small footprint capture device but you need something else to do the post -processing for you.

ALTayer

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:33 pm »
thx chris,

I'm using Nebulosity 3 for capturing and preproccesing. in the option "Acquisition mode" there are

3 mdoe for capturing images:

- RAW
- Recon (RGB/square): speed
- Recon (RGB/square): quality

which option do you suggestion? I'm using the last one most of the time and having problem with it, shallI go with RAW?

and in the color file format, Shall I go with

-Save fits: ImagePlus.

-save fits : MaximDL.

-save 3 seperate fits.

could changing these options saves my day!?

I purchased Pixinsight recently, waiting for some good result to start using the software.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:52:50 pm by ALTayer »

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:20 am »
If you have Pixinsight (be ready for a big learnign curve here) I would use Artemis Capture to ghet the base .fits files and then process with Pixinisght (which include the necessary debayer routines).

Note if you applying bias/darks etc this needs to be before debayering.

I used Artemis Capture and Pixinsight very sucesssfully with OSC colour cameras so it can be done.

ALTayer

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:40:08 pm »
hi Cris,

I'm trying and getting few good signs, but not as before.

Artemis used to capture dark backgrounds with nice looking colors. but not anymore.

thx