Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 383 Shutter problem?  (Read 8614 times)

Interested

Atik 383 Shutter problem?
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:38:45 am »
I have only used the camera a couple of times because I was getting the same problem as in the attached using 1.25" filters. I saved up and bought the EFW 2 filterwheel and 2" filters. Scope is Meade Series 5000 127 ED Apo. This is the first image I have taken with the setup (totally unprocessed). Could it be the shutter is misaligned? There seems to be a bigger gap at the bottom of the shutter than there is at the top difficult to raand I wondered if light was getting in when the shutter was meant to be closed. Attached is a single luminance frame, 360 seconds guided.
Anyone else had a similar problem?
Any advice appreciated. :)

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
Re: Atik 383 Shutter problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:25 am »
That doesn't look like a shutter problem to me, but I've not seen anything like this before.  To me it looks like a light reflection somewhere in the image train.  Are you using a reducer/flattener?  This is all just a guess.
joel

Interested

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:59 am »
Joel,

Thanks for your reply - no, I didn't use a reducer/flattener for this image. Someone suggested that light might be seeping in from my laptop. I have just taken a 3 second 'dark frame' with the camera lens cap off to see if the shutter was leaking light (the original image was 360 seconds) - you can see the result!

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »
I take it the shutter was closed during the 3sec "dark frame"?  If that's the case then yes something's not right with the shutter.  I would suggest contacting Atik support directly.

Interested

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
Hi again Joel,

I did a quick exposure prior to taking the dark so that the shutter was actioned. I then checked the shutter didn't move when I took the dark (took the dark by selecting 'dark' in Artemis), so yes, the shutter was shut (apparently!).
I have informed my supplier and he is going to talk to Atik on my behalf.

Many thanks for your input - I'll post the final outcome.

Regards,

Pete

Interested

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »
Well, I got the camera back a few weeks ago. The camera had its shutter adjusted and the camera was tested. Managed to use the camera last week. It is much better but the problem remains to some extent, however, I can get rid of this in processing so not a major problem now.