Atik Cameras

Author Topic: M42 - My First HyperStar Image  (Read 13776 times)

MapMaker73

M42 - My First HyperStar Image
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:31:52 am »
Finally had a chance to try my new HyperStar configuration.  It was easier to take images with than I had anticipated.  This is only my second night trying to use a CCD with the telescope I got for Christmas.  Am very much a newbie and the learning curve seems steep, but I am encouraged that even from my backyard's very light polluted skies I can still take some astro images, even with a Alt-Azm mount.  HyperStar is great and so is my ATIK 420C.

Images: 7 images @ 30sec ATIK 420c in HyperStar configuration (only half the images attempted showed round enough stars)
ArtemisCapture
Nebulosity 3 to assist fine focus
Post Processing:
MaxIm DL 5 for stacking/alignment/rotation (all default settings) and for "Histogram Specification" (default settings)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 for final level adjustment of mid-range levels

Set-up:
Celestron Nexstar 8SE
Starizona HyperStar 3
IDAS LPS V4 filter
Feathertouch Microfocuser / MicroTouch wired Autofocuser

Lex

• We do it at night...
Re: M42 - My First HyperStar Image
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:52 am »
Hi,

Nice for a second try! I think there is some more data behind that has bee clipped by a to restrictive background neutralisation or noise reduction. IMO try to less heavier stretch the image, even if there is some noise, you will be rewarded with more details!
I think there is also an issue with your focussing method; the stars are not compact and seem defocussed?
Do you manually focus helped by the FWHM ?

Best

lex
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

bwa

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:40:27 am »

...7 images @ 30sec ATIK 420c in HyperStar configuration...

Nice image!  Hyperstar always amazes me w/ its short exposures even though I know it is an f/2 telescope...

bwa

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46:18 am »
Hi,

Another question, considering that the scope is below f3 or something; the shown above image is a heavy crop? Do you have a fullframe?

Best

Lex
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

MapMaker73

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:21:01 pm »
Thank you for the replies and the encouraging words.  I will experiment more with MaxIm DL to see if I can tease out more details as suggested; it is exciting to think that I could.

I double checked the apparent cropping of the image.  I believe the image area captured is reflecting that the ATIK 420c is capturing about 2.27 arcsec per pixel in my HyperStar configuration (assuming a resulting focal length of 400mm), or an image area of 1.02 x 0.77 degrees (width x height).

Thank you for the feedback about focus. 

I tried, for the first time, to achieve focus manually by minimizing the FHWM of one of the stars (via Nebulosity).  In hindsight I see that my impatience to get to a series of longer exposures influenced my settling on an out-of-focus setting.  I also think that because of the relatively high humidity and the low elevation of my backyard observing site, that I did not have much hope for a true fine focus  (I am in Saint Charles, MO, part of the Saint Louis metro area).

Hopefully I can better balance my excitement about using the telescope with practicing the patience needed to learn how to use the telescope and its accessories effectively.

Clear skies,
Jim