Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Capture software  (Read 13518 times)

jonathan

• Atik Staff
Capture software
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »
As you may already know, we are currently in the process of improving and extending the Artemis Capture program in order to provide more facilities for controlling an observing session. One of the new features will be a built-in planetarium, which is intended to assist with the acquisition and identification of observing targets and to provide some basic telescope control functions. An early version of this is available as a standalone application; if you're interested in giving it a try, a zip file containing the installer is available for download from the following URL:

http://www.atik-cameras.com/external/Software/SkyNavSetup.zip

The idea is to provide something which will be useful during an observing session rather than a fully-featured planetarium, though I hope it will be easier to use than the one in MaxIm. Anyway, if you'd like to try it then I'd be very grateful for any feedback. Thanks.

Jonathan
(Atik)

bwa

Re: Capture software
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »
How about just adding a histogram of the displayed image??

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:15:44 am »
Jonathan,

Nicely done! I will experiment a bit with it and keep you in the loop...

Best

Lex
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

jmelquist

• My Flickr Page
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »
Jonathan,
  I jut downloaded SkyNav from the link above and it installs fine on Win7 32bit, but it will not run.  I tried running as Administrator and rebooting, but still it errors before launching.  Am I the only one experiencing this? 

Thanks,
Jason M
Jason Melquist
Atik 320e, 80mm Ref, Astronomik filters

Init4theimaging

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:19:42 pm »
I´m with bwa on this.
A histogram would be a nice feature, maby with clipping alert...

Thanks,
Daniel

Arthur68

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:13:59 pm »
Dear Jonanthan,

I think in my opinion more important to make versions of the Capture software what works with Mac computers (OSX) and Linux.

Best ragards,

Arthur Wiegman.

fatwoul

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:25 am »
Unfortunately I come late to this thread, but the one [edit: three] things I would like to see added - or rather, taken away:

1) The annoying way that manipulations done in Artemis Capture are written into the image files.  For example, image rotation surely serves only to aid whilst imaging.  To have that written into the image file has caused me so many problems in processing, when light frames have been rotated and dark frames have not.

2) The equally frustrating way that stretching the sliders is written into the image file.  Again, whilst the sliders help to see what is being captures during a session, this is completely unhelpful in processing afterwards.  I have been told that the sliders are not written into the image files, but I have a lot of useless old dark frames that prove otherwise.

3) Exposures of longer than 60 seconds should be automatically saved.  Thankfully, I've lost only one night of 20 minute exposures by forgetting to check the "Autosave Images" box, but with so few clear nights, that is one night too many.  I'd rather my harddrive fill up with image files I have to delete later than not save the images in the first place.

I'm sure these will seem like "dummy" features to the software, but don't forget we're operating this equipment late at night, and some of us are not at our best at 2am.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:01:58 pm by fatwoul »

andyo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »
Again late to the topic but I agree that a histogram would be a nice addition also any chance of getting it to communicate with phd so you can dither

bwa

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:34 am »
I'm with andyo on PHD dithering control.  Would be real nice!

bwa

Merlin66

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:36 am »
Any comment/ update/ response from the ATiK team?????

Paulcolenbrander

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:08:15 pm »
Some stuff I think would make things easier:

- Version number/date at the download page visible, makes it easier to see if there was a update.
- Pause/continue button when imaging!
- Better filename options no "()" in the filename.
- Histogram function.
- Frame/Focus help (like in Nebulosity3)

Hope the Atik team wants to respond to the Atik board questions!

Thanks!

Paul.

ForumAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:44 am »
noted.  Though if you want to be sure of an Atik reply please use support at Atik-cameras.com
I am hoping we can get a new version our around Christmas.
Best
Steve