Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Two Silly Qestions  (Read 9878 times)

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
Two Silly Qestions
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:41:50 pm »
H All,

My LRGB filters for the EFW2 should arrive tomorrow and have a question regarding installation. I have yet to open the EFW2. I noticed that the EFW2 comes with a set of O-rings - do these rings go on the wheel first or do the filters go on first, then the O-rings. I guess my question is, is there an incorrect way to place them on the wheel.

Another dumb question - when I bought my camera the kit came with two small packets in aluminum type pouches - I'm assuming this is desiccant, is this correct?
I figured I's ask now and get these beginner questions out of the way.

Thanks for your advice!
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

Kaidan

• Astrophotographie à l'île de la Réunion
Re: Two Silly Qestions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »
The two alu packets are dessicant.
Jeremy Skuza
Astrophotographie à l'île de la Réunion
TMB Optical 130 Signature Series + 3" corrector
Losmandy G11 "O&V" [NS + Spacer] Gemini II
DS : ATIK 383L+, Astronomik LRGB | AG / P : ATIK Titan

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »
Hi Kaidan, thanks for the reply. I purchased the Baader LRGB set and will soon be adding the NB set. So if I understand what you are saying is that the O-rings are an option depending on the thickness of the filters? I guess I'll see how they fit when I receive them and decide then if the rings are necessary for a snug fit with no movement.

Also thanks for confirming re the desiccant packs.

Mike
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

Kaidan

• Astrophotographie à l'île de la Réunion
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »
I edited my first answer because it was unsure after reading :

The EFW2 can accept 3 and 2mm thick filters by default. We include o-rings as spacer for the 2mm filters.

but i think he means "We include o-rings as spacer for the 1mm filters". So for Baader, you shouldn't need'em.
Jeremy Skuza
Astrophotographie à l'île de la Réunion
TMB Optical 130 Signature Series + 3" corrector
Losmandy G11 "O&V" [NS + Spacer] Gemini II
DS : ATIK 383L+, Astronomik LRGB | AG / P : ATIK Titan

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
Mike,

I own the EFW2 and also Baader 1,25" LRGB, Ha, Hb, OIII, SII Filters.
I simply screwed them into their places and did not need any of these spacers; you will actually see this if the filter threads come out to much on the backside then you will perhaps need some spacers.

As the EFW2 actually offers enough room the spacer option is rather disregard-able..

The only think you have to be careful about is the motor tension. Usually you do not need to touch it until you will have big temperature deltas or the filter wheel rubber ring is getting older...
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »
Hi Les, thanks for the response. I guess I should have prefaced my prior question by stating i will be using the 36mm un-mounted filters. I think Kaidens' response makes sense to me.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:44 pm »
Well to continue on this, I received my Baader LRGB filters yesterday and proceeded to install them. What i noticed is that without using the o-rings you can hear the filters rattle a little, so obviously while the screws and washers will keep them from falling out, they will not hold them down tight. My major concern more so is that while imaging if the filters are loose they can conceivably rotate a bit which could make shooting flats an issue if the filters are not in the exact location as when imaged.
I shot off a quick email to Atik support (thanks Rui for the super quick response!) and he mentioned that i should use the o-rings and use a small screwdriver to assist in placement.
The problem lies in that the o-rings appear to be a touch too large for the filter opening and won't sit flat. Anyone else have this issue?
I'm going to try again tonight to install the o-rings first but I believe that I may have to cut the o-ring in order to sit flat. Anybody see a problem in doing this>

I'll report back tomorrow after my attempt tonight.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:14:36 am »
Update: I tried installing th o-rings as is and they continued to pop out either from the top or bottom. So I snipped them and when placed in the
filter well, they overlapped by about 7mm. I did trim them again with a small scissor and now they sit fine - I hope!
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11