Atik Cameras

Author Topic: What's best for a larger SCT  (Read 8909 times)

kgalka

What's best for a larger SCT
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:52 pm »
I currently use an older Meade 12" SCT with a DLSR but am buying a new ccd. I'm trying to decide which ATIK would be the best fit for my scope (I also use a 6.3 reducer). My budget is a limited to around $2k so this of course limits my options :) I'd love to hear some opinions of people that have a similiar setup to mine and what you're using. I'm currently thinking of 314L+, 383L+, 428EX or the 450 (all monochrome versions)
Thanks,

Kevin

riklaunim

• RkBlog
Re: What's best for a larger SCT
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:35 am »
Avoid small pixels as you may get to high resolution (and you will have to bin2). Atik 4000 could be nice for a big SCT. 314/383 and alike rather in bin2. 450 - to small pixels.
C11 - TSAPO65 - Atik 314L+ - DMK21AU618 - HEQ5...

bwa

Re: What's best for a larger SCT
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »
I'm currently thinking of 314L+, 383L+, 428EX or the 450 (all monochrome versions)

I specifically purchased a 428Ex to use with a Celestron 8" and 11" because of its small pixels and high resolution.  With its small sensor size it is also easy to use with a 0.33x-0.5x reducer w/o vignetting.  And its sensitivity is great for galaxies at a full f/10.  Just remember, a solid configuration and superb guiding is required with large focal lengths.

I've also used the 428Ex for solar and lunar imaging even though it is not recommended for these purposes AND with a T2 -> EOS adapter it works just great with all my Canon lenses, in particular for IR imaging...  So far I've used/tested the 428Ex on every scope/lens I own ranging from an 8mm fisheye, S170-500mm zoom, SW80ED, TV102, SW180Mak, C8, C11, 8"/10" Newts and more with excellent results (depending upon our flaky weather this year)

You mentioned $2000.  Since the 428Ex is already $2000 this leaves no room for a filter wheel or filters, which might double the price, so it may not be your best option.  Although you might add an IR filter and stick with B&W imaging for a while.

This is not my first CCD.  I've had large format CCD's in the past, QHY8 and QHY9, and never really liked the large format.  I do really like the 428Ex's 2/3" format.  And I also do a fair bit of imaging with a Hutech modified full spectrum Canon 60D which I thoroughly enjoy!

The choice of a CCD camera is very much dependent upon the targets you want to go after and the scopes you wish to use with it.  Generally I use the 60D for wide-field imaging (nebulas and star fields) and smaller format CCD's for the smaller targets (galaxies, planets, etc.)

Just my thoughts and findings...

bwa