Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Temp setting on 383L+ Color  (Read 8663 times)

MML458

Temp setting on 383L+ Color
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:24 pm »
What is a good temperature setting to use on the 383 color? Also does anyone know the Bayer pattern on the 383 color, or the offsets that should be used?

Thanks,

Mark

gdallmann

Re: Temp setting on 383L+ Color
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
Hi Mark,
I use a temp setting of -20.  As for the Bayer matrix and offsets, in Nebulosity 2 I need to use Bayer matrix offsets of X:1, Y:0 for images to debayer correctly.  In Deep Sky Stacker this corresponds to a Bayer matrix setting of GBGR.
I determined the correct settings by taking images of M42 and systematically tried all possible Bayer matrix settings until the colour came out right.  You might need to do the same if these settings vary from camera to camera (though i don't think they should).

I'd also be interested to hear how your images come out.  I'm having a hell of a time getting images out of this camera that are equal to what I was getting out of the unmodified Canon 350d I upgraded from.

MML458

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »
Thank You! I'm using CCDStack 2 and am trying to get the color right. I know what you mean in regards to the 383 vs dslr, I was using a modified Canon T1I before going to ccd. The processing was alot easier with the dslr. Always something new to learn in this Astro-World we live in :D

Mark

gdallmann

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:26 am »
Glad to help Mark.  I guess I'm not talking about the processing...in Nebulosity it was pretty much the same with both cameras, I'm just finding that I'm needing many more subframes (ie. longer total exposures) to get decent images after processing.  It seems like the chip is just intrinsically less sensitive and the colours more muted (at least in my rank amateur hands...) than the Canon although it's much less noisy.  I'm finally getting some keepers, but only after imaging over multiple nights.  I'm sure part of it is my abilities at processing, but the learning curve is still steep...
Clear skies!
Garry

vorkus

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
I have the mono version of this camera and I've noticed the same thing.  From my backyard with a Canon 1000D, I can take at most 2 minute exposures.  I'm in an orange zone.  With the 383, last night I took a 5 minute exposure.  Looking carefully at it, the background was still very black.  The stars had saturated to a full 255 (on a 0 to 255 scale).  The target galaxy was about in the middle of the number range.  The overall histogram seemed maybe a bit low compared to my DSLR but then again that could be the noise difference.  I'm having trouble determining if I'm underexposing or overexposing.  The chip seems to be definately less sensitive than the canon chip but with much less noise.