Atik Cameras

Author Topic: EFW2 with ASCOM 6.x  (Read 4732 times)

novalab

EFW2 with ASCOM 6.x
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:30 am »
Hi,

I am having problems with EFW2 connecting the to the latest ASCOM 6.1 SP1. It used to work (more or less) with ASCOM 6.0 but since I upgraded to ASCOM6.1 SP1 it is not functioning at all. The problem appears to be that the filter wheel always appears to the client to be moving, and the client SW (in my case Maxim DL) never thinks it has stopped – thus it will not start the exposure.

Prior to the upgrade it would mostly work, although I would have to plug in the camera after all other devices had been registered or it would fail. This is very inconvenient as this is a remote observatory installation. Frankly, had it not been for the camera stack being sized right for the reducer/flattener, I would have long ago trashed this FW.

This is a problem I can reproduce on 3 different PCs (all running XP Pro) ranging to a slow 2GHz notebook to my observatory 4 core server. The USB goes thru a hub, and EFW2 has solid, and clean 12DC. The FW is a stack of two FWs (ATIK and SBIG) that shows up a a composite FW in MDL. I have the same issue even if I only run the ATIK FW alone, and the SBIG FW never has any issues.

I tried to upgrade to the latest software from the website, but the installer insists on ASCOM 5 and aborts. It would be nice if ATIK would release some more current drivers. As FYI, I had heard couple similar reports from other users.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Chris

gvanhau

Re: EFW2 with ASCOM 6.x
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:11 pm »
Sorry, I can not help.
... I am having similar problems in Windows 8 64 bit.

Geert

ForumAdmin

• Administrator
Re: EFW2 with ASCOM 6.x
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:37 am »
Hello,
It might be worth dropping an email to support@atik-cameras.com

I missed the first message in this thread that suggested the EFW2 driver would not install on ASCOM 6.1.  This is not the case.  If you get the error
ASCOM Platform 5.5 or later is required: please update ASCOM before continuing. See http:\\www.ascom-standards.org

its telling you that the software can not find a valid ASCOM V5.5 or later. ie  ASCOM.Utilities.Util.IsMinimumRequiredVersion(5, 5) is returning false.  ASCOM 6.1 will work.

Sadly ASCOM is not much of a standard but its the best we have.

best
Steve