Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Near Real Time Observing Cameras  (Read 8113 times)

tlarson

Near Real Time Observing Cameras
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »
There is a growing interest in near real time observing which is generally accomplished by using sensitive, low noise, low resolution astro imaging cameras or astro video cameras designed to take relatively short exposures of 10 to 120 seconds usually in conjunction with on the fly software for automatic aligning, stacking and minor processing, which produces a respectable image on the computer display within a few minutes time with little or no intervention from the observer.  If individual exposure times are limited to 60 seconds or less, guiding of the tracking equatorial mount is generally not required for wide field observing with a fast (around f/4) optical tube assembly.  This can produce a significant improvement in the visible detail and color of deep sky objects compared to eyepiece viewing.

The fast optics, frequently obtained by using rather aggressive focal reduction, does well with image sensors that are relatively small (1/3, 1/2, 2/3 format) with large pixels and low to moderate resolution.  The ICX285 sensor and the new ICX825 share the same physical specifications of type 2/3, 6.45 micron pixel size and 1.4M pixels.  If the ICX825 EXview HAD II turns out to be a good sensor choice for producing an astro camera with high sensitivity and low noise, it could be an excellent higher resolution choice for near real time observing systems.  I could envision an Atik Series 4 cooled camera based on the ICX825, with improved performance over the Atik 314L+, as a possible candidate for this application. 

I have observed very nice near real time images of deep sky objects produced with the Atik 314L+ using a total exposure time of just 1- 3 minutes.  It would be wonderful if a new camera based on the ICX825 would perform as well with even shorter exposure times.  This camera, in conjunction with on the fly processing software, could offer a significant improvement in image quality over the currently available astro video cameras.  I really see the near real time observing market ready to take off at a healthy growth rate.  What is your opinion of this market fitting in nicely between the astro observing (eyepiece) market and the astro imaging market?

tlarson

Re: Near Real Time Observing Cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:51:35 pm »

Congratulations on the new Atik 414EX camera!  This new camera, based on the ICX825, may do amazing things for near real time observing.  I look forward to seeing the first results with this very promising camera.  Thank you, Atik!!

tlarson

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:29 pm »

Congratulations on the new Atik Infinity near real time observing camera!  The initial information on the camera and software sound very interesting.  I hope it is a very successful product for Atik and that it helps grow the market for near real time observing.

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:42 am »
Thanks, tlarson!

We made a video from one of our early tests that I thought you might be interested to see (if you haven't already!) :)

http://www.atik-cameras.com/news/testing-the-atik-infinity/

tlarson

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

Hi Jo,

Yes, I saw the video the same day it was posted.  There are many of us near real time observing enthusiasts that are following the release of the Atik Infinity very closely.  I have heard nothing but praise for the well-made 'first light' video.  We are eagerly awaiting more videos and sample images. 

The first video demonstrated the capabilities of the Infinity when paired with a low cost tracking alt-az mount and using short exposures of 5 seconds or less.  I would love to see how it performs with a midrange, unguided equatorial mount with longer exposures, at full resolution (1 x 1 unbinned) and with faster focal ratios in the f/4 to f/6 range.  It also will be interesting to see demonstrations of the color version.

So far the Atik Infinity looks really exciting!

Messier27

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:30:40 pm »
I just discovered the Atik & Atik Infinity camera(s) and from what I have seen the past hour...impressive.  We have done video astronomy for the past several years but the Infinity results I have just seen are terrific.  Other than the results...I know nothing about it and uh I am not sure what to ask.

Does it do single images or stacking/binning...again things I know nothing about.  We just did from the camera straight to a video monitor and watched Outer Space TV.

Anyway, glad I found the Forum and will be hanging around trying to learn things.

Anyone in Central Florida have an Infinity?

John

Howie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:17:32 am »
Aussie supplier says the Infinity isnt yet released yet I see it on the Atik website and wierdly on the Aussie vendors website. So is it a real product and being sold? Or is it still under development / software mods or something?
Anyone know?
Howie_Oz

Chris

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
The Atik Demos of the Infinity say that first shipments will be towards the end of September.

Chris