Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 383L+ Power Consumption  (Read 9478 times)

Gib007

383L+ Power Consumption
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:54:28 pm »
Hello,

I'm aware that the 383L+ uses 2.5A of current but obviously this will vary. Have anyone measured the power consumption (and therefore current use) during various stages of use?
i.e. During cooling, when already at your chosen set point, when imaging, etc. I'm sure it won't use 2.5A 100% of the time it's powered up.

I only ask because I'm using a Skywatcher 17Ah Power Tank and I know my Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro mount consumes 2A of current during full-speed slewing (not often). I'm weary about 17Ah disappointing me on a night's imaging use. Mind you, I only power my mount and the 383L+ from the power tank. I'm not too keen on getting a 30kg Marine Deep Cycle battery, though it may end up being the only formidable solution.

andysea

Re: 383L+ Power Consumption
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »
I strongly recommend getting a separate power supply for your camera. Any drop in the  voltage supplied to the camera will result in random noise being added to your sub and it will be impossible to remove. As a general rule of thumb ccd cameras should have a regulated and dedicated power supply. If your power tank isn't regulated you can buy an inexpensive regulated power supply. I Power my 383L+ with 13.5 volt regulated.
I found a regulated step up converter on ebay, it takes 12v in and the output can be manually adjusted anywhere between 12 and 35 volt with a max output of 6A. Those are readily available at about $8 shipped.
I use one 105Ah marine battery for my CCD, One more for the computer, dew heaters etc and a third 18Ah one for the mount.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:03:29 pm by andysea »
Tak NJP, AP Mach1+trl36, Kenko Skymemo
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

geoshare

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:04 am »
I found the 17AH power pack to be insufficient to power my Atlas EQ G and my ATIK 383L+. I ended up getting a Deep cycle marine battery with a Trolling motor case that has two cigarette lighter plugs for accessories.

I have experienced the much discussed noise issue that appears when the battery runs down a bit and it around 12-12.5V.

I ended up getting the AC adapter for the camera and if I have the luxury to plug in...the camera generates nice images with much less noise.

Robert
Tele Vue 101 is
ATIK 383L
EFW2

GarfieldWylands

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:03 am »
I found the 17AH power pack to be insufficient to power my Atlas EQ G and my ATIK 383L+. I ended up getting a Deep cycle marine battery with a Trolling motor case that has two electronic cigarettes lighter plugs for accessories.

I have experienced the much discussed noise issue that appears when the battery runs down a bit and it around 12-12.5V.

I ended up getting the AC adapter for the camera and if I have the luxury to plug in...the camera generates nice images with much less noise.

Robert

I think you have opted for right option so thanks for sharing it out.. I am trying unique power options so i will surely try your way..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:13:21 pm by GarfieldWylands »