Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 383L - Severe Horizontal Banding  (Read 11364 times)

iksose7

Atik 383L - Severe Horizontal Banding
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:57:37 am »
Hi guys, this is my first cry for help and hopefully my last if i can sort the problem out. This is my first CCD, bought second hand a couple weeks ago and i have been having issues shown in the image below, which is a single 600 sec dark. I ran a set of about 10 darks and the banding seemed to get better as the subs rolled on but its still un-usable. I have read around although theres not much to be found but i'm getting the feeling it may be something to do with the lack power the camera is receiving. It is being powered by the mains but the cable does have tape around it (previous owners job). I have ordered the recommended Atik cable in the hope it will cure the issue. Do you think a lack of power could be causing this?

I also noticed just before that the cameras shutter was failing to close or open all the way and am wondering if power would effect that at all?

The CCD is in perfect condition and the previous owner is a respected astronomer so i dont doubt that the camera has the potential to function 100%. I am just thinking that maybe he kept the proper power cable and gave me a damaged hand me down which is giving me this grief. If this is not the case and the CCD is faulty i will not be a happy man!

Thanks for and help you can give
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:19:36 am by iksose7 »

Chris

Re: Atik 383L - Severe Horizontal Banding
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:16:13 am »
Contact Atik support,  they are the ones with the experience, especially with shutters.

Power is a possibility, I'd try using a 12V battery to see if that helps.  The camera takes about 2A so if your mains power supply isn't giving enough that might explain things.

Also start with bias frames, then try short darks before trying long ones. Start with cooling off, this will reduce the power the camera needs.

Chris

iksose7

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:12:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply Chris, i'll try your suggestions this weekend and again once i receive the new power unit.

If all else fails i will head for Atik support.

NickK

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:49:05 pm »
Yup - it could be power related.

I accidentally plugged my 414EX into a 5V supply.. the result is banding. Switched to 12V and it's working ok.

My 383L likes being connected to my 13.8V 7A PSU compared to the 12V Bosch 100Ah battery as the battery voltage drops over time.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

iksose7

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:20:58 pm »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the input.

I have ordered this which will pump out 12v 2.5A: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-power-supply-unit-psu.html

Like you mention and as do a lot of people who own the 383L, it may be better to run at 13.8v. If this power unit doesnt work out i guess i will have to buy a regulator. Do you by any chance have a link to the one you use?

NickK

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:30:43 pm »
Hi, it's a maplin one - I think it may even be this one (it's in the garage atm): http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html which I'll used to power the 383L, EFW2, Titan, NEQ6 and dew bands.

ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

niteman1946

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »
I've been running my 383L+ for about two years on a 13.8vdc regulated power supply.  The original 12vdc source supplied with the camera was not up to the task.
My issue was excessive noise even at low temp.  Once I switched, the noise went away.
Mark

Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
It really puzzles me why people are so reluctant to contact support.

Chris

iksose7

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:42:29 am »
It really puzzles me why people are so reluctant to contact support.

Chris

Then why would forums like this exist? I personally find that support either doesnt reply or takes a few days to do so. If i post my problem in a forum i can get answers fast from people that have actually had similar issues and know the solutions. Older generations may feel more need to contact support as thats what they know with having no access to internet forums back in the day, but i find that younger people nowadays would rather post their questions on forums.

On a separate note, i received my power supply yesterday and i looks like the banding is gone :) thanks for the help guys.

niteman1946

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »
Well, I'll straddle the fence a bit here.  I agree that forums are an excellent venue to ask questions, receive answers, share informatin, and brag on or complain about product.  And I would expect that this forum, hosted by Atik, would have tech support keeping an eye on it.
My own experience is that the techies have responded to some of my issues via the forum.

However, more importantly, direct contact (email for me) with tech support has always produced a quick response and, in one way or other, a satisfactory answer.

So my practice is to post first.  If I'm not making progress, or the responses are driving my that way, I'll then email support.
Cheers,
Mark

iksose7

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:26 pm »
Exactly my thinking Mark. I am not in any way saying Atiks support is bad as i havent had to deal with them seeing as i received help here so i cant have an opinion, but dealing with other support entities in the past has been frustrating at times.

RQKimball

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 03:51:27 am »
I have had wonderful support from Atik.  On the banding issue,  I run my Atik383l using a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery and a step up regulatory.  The regulator maintains a constant 13.8 volts until the battery is essentially drained.  I've had no banding issues.

Bob