Atik Cameras

Author Topic: New Website  (Read 3656 times)

pf_fin

New Website
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
Hi,

a question to the staff: is there a reason why in the new website the section for the Software / Firmware has amost disappeared?

I find very useful to have the list of the last release number for each of your product Sw and Fw.

Are you not going to provide your product any Firmware upgrade in the future?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:25:43 pm by pf_fin »
Clear skies!
Piero

Andrew

• Atik Staff
  • Atik Staff
    • Our Cameras
Re: New Website
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »
Hello,

I'm glad this question has been asked, particularly with regard to firmware.

The reason is basically that it was generating too many unnecessary support issues.

The firmware list has never actually been about providing upgrades. They are simply files detailing the configuration of the electronic parts of the camera. So, for example, if we have to change supplier of an item, and the specification is slightly different, we can allow for this. The idea that we release new firmware that suddenly supercharges your camera or adds a new feature is a misconception. It is not like the BIOS in your computer motherboard, or the firmware in your set-top TV box.

Some users were flashing their cameras with completely inappropriate firmware, causing their cameras either not to work or not work properly. This was particularly true of the 383 cameras where the shutter mechanism actuator has varied throughout the years. Then there were bizarre cases such as a 383 that was telling it owner that it was now a 314! Why somebody would flash a 383 with 314 firmware is beyond me.

The only case I can think of where an updated firmware file was released as an upgrade was for a few very early 414 cameras. This was to correct a small bug, and this was implemented through dealers, or directly with the user.

If a user has a genuine need to obtain a particular firmware file then this can be requested through Atik support where Vince or myself will be only to glad to help you out

I Hope you can now understand why we made the changes we did

Andrew

pf_fin

Re: New Website
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:10:49 pm »
Thank you Andrew for your explanation, I understand.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:12:31 pm by pf_fin »
Clear skies!
Piero