Atik Cameras

Author Topic: CMOS equivalent  (Read 5889 times)

StarMike

CMOS equivalent
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:29:26 pm »
With the ZWO ASI1600 and the QHY QHY163M CMOS cameras, does Atik have an equivalent offering in the CCD line with similar specs?

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: CMOS equivalent
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:19:32 pm »
Hello,

We have been keeping cmos under review.  At the moment we still feel that CCD technology offers many advantages for deep sky imaging.  Low dark current, low fixed pattern, clean dark frames 16bit ADC to name but a few.  However cmos is improving while developments in CCD are few are far between.  So at some point we will probably develop a cmos camera.
Best
Steve

StarMike

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:57:43 pm »
I agree with you on that.  What I wanted to know was, in your current CCD lineup, what would come close to these CMOS camera in resolution and price

Steve

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:28 am »
Hello,

That's the challenge.  The cmos will be able to offer a large sensor area for the price so there is not a direct correlation.  I would suggest the Atik 314L+ or Atik 414ex as great mid range cameras.  The Atik 490ex offers similar size pixels to the cmos cameras.  And the Atik16200 offers 16 million pixels on a large CCD.

You might like to have a look in or gallery to see the kinds of pictures people are getting with these cameras.
Cheers
Steve

StarMike

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:43:17 pm »
Thanks, I have the Atik Infinity, so the 414EX would not be an improvement.  I want more resolution.  I will look at your suggestions