Atik Cameras

Author Topic: CMOS sensors  (Read 6075 times)

Slawomir

CMOS sensors
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:48 am »
Dear Atik,

In light of rise in both popularity and quality of CMOS sensors, I have been wondering whether currently existing sensors, such as IMX253LLR from Sony for example, in spite of having only 12bit AD converter, could be possibly a cheaper alternative to existing CCD sensors in cameras dedicated to deep space imaging?

Not sure whether anyone would be able to answer my question, nonetheless I thought it won't hurt asking :)

Regards
Suavi
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:52:35 am by Slawomir »

Dick van Tatenhove

Re: CMOS sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:28:50 am »
Dear Atik,

In light of rise in both popularity and quality of CMOS sensors, I have been wondering whether currently existing sensors, such as IMX253LLR from Sony for example, in spite of having only 12bit AD converter, could be possibly a cheaper alternative to existing CCD sensors in cameras dedicated to deep space imaging?

Not sure whether anyone would be able to answer my question, nonetheless I thought it won't hurt asking :)

Regards
Suavi

Good question!  And how about a fullframe monochrome cmos sensor....for me as narrowband photographer using the 8300 at the moment.

Regards Dick van Tatenhove

Jo

• Atik Staff
Re: CMOS sensors
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »
At this point, we've found that CMOS sensors still don't compete with CCDs in the realm of long exposure, cooled astrophotography. That said, they are improving all the time and we always keep an eye on new technologies that we could use in our cameras - it has the potential to be an exciting few years!

Jo