Atik Cameras

Author Topic: New camera issues  (Read 9900 times)

Astrogate

New camera issues
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:56:25 am »
Hi Chris and Jo

I was able to use my new Atik Infinity last night under average transparency, cold and mild humid conditions and I feel that there is something either wrong with the camera or software. I  first tried installing from the CD that came with my camera after carefully reading and following all instructions. There were issues that I will explain later, so I then went to the Atik web site downloads page and downloaded/installed the latest Beta version for Artemis/Infinity. I choose only what I needed like the Atik ASCOM driver, selected drivers, Maxim DL plugin for my Maxim DL software and Infinity.

** What I am noticing is that even at a pretty fast focal ratio of f/3.7 that I am using on my RC 10" scope I am needing much longer exposures then I should. I captured some screen shots and you can clearly see issues such as very long 90 second exposures and the peak of the histogram is still way over to the left side. Also the progress bar shows up as blue sections rather than a solid green bar as exposure counts up. Everyone else has a green progress bar and I am the only one with a different blue progress bar "very strange" please see screen captures. It seems that when using the viewer finder at 2 x 2 bin mode the sensitivity is there but using the video mode feature at 1 x 1 bin mode there is a big lack of sensitivity. You can clearly see an issue when looking at the single 30 second capture of M3 globular cluster.

I have tried re-installing, system restore, both CD and beta software with no changes. I also tried everything on my other computer and did get the green progress bar but then I was no longer able to connect to Infinity. Both computers are using Windows 7 Pro.

Hopefully you both have some suggestions or answers and if not then this camera will have to go back were I bought it from an Astronomy store in the US.

Thank you!

Chris A

StarMike

Re: New camera issues
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:30:27 pm »
That is strange.  When I got mine, I did not even open the CD.  I went straight to their site and installed from there, but I did not pick the Beta version.  You should get great images with 5-15 seconds (the horsehide took 20 seconds).  Hopefully Atik will chime on and maybe have some ideas

Astrogate

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:52 pm »
Hi Mike

Wow posting messages/images is very slow here since I first tried last night to post my concern topic under Atik Infinity but to no avail. I then posted it here in the video astronomy section and had multiple issues and gave up, so I just sent an email and pictures directly to Atik. I am very surprised to see my post go through here. I did though get a response this morning from Andrew of Atik and we have sent a few email back and forth to each other. It turns out that my camera is defective and I will have to send it back to where I bought it. As you can imagine, I am not so far a very happy camper and do question their quality control of this camera since a few of my friend had also issues with theirs with one of them having also a defective camera.

Andrew mentioned that I can exchange my camera for another one and if the seller does not have one in stock then I should let him know. I did also mention to him that I am shelling out my own money to ship it back from Canada to California, so let's see if I am compensated.

Chris A

Astrogate

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:46 pm »
Here are some more images captured with my RC10" @ F/3.7 that should only require 1/3rd of the exposure rate in order to get this detail. * Please pay attention to the histogram and you will see that at 60 & 90 sec exposures the peak is too close to the left and should be way past the 1000 mark.

Chris A

Astrogate

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:28 pm »
Another example

Chris

Astrogate

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:30:01 pm »
Final example

Chris A

Spacedout

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
Hello Chris,

I'm gutted for you as I know you were excited abut trying this camera out.  I would say though as frustrating as this must be don't lose faith!  I'm sure Atik will get this sorted for you and it will be well worth the wait.  Have a look at my second light images over on SGL to see what can be achieved once you get sorted.  With your experience you'll get even better views!

Hope you sort it soon.

Karl

Astrogate

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:47 am »
Thank you very much Karl for the support and I know in the long run I will be very happy with this camera and the great software. I had a look on SLG at your recent images and commented there. I must say to those that it is worth to go over to Stargazers Lounge and have a look at Karl's fantastic images. Well done Karl!

Cheers,

Chris A

Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 07:36:25 am »
I'm not sure that you have a problem, the images look pretty good to me, a reasonable amount of detail and very little noise for a single 90s frame.

I see that the peak of the histogram is around 250 to 300 but isn't that more an indication that the camera doesn't have much noise and you are fortunate enough to have a fairly dark sky.

What camera/optical setup are you comparing this with?

Chris R

StarMike

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »
Looks like an issue to me, I am glad they want you to return it.  The cigar galaxy is relatively bright.  I do have the mono camera, but can see that one really well at about 15 seconds at F3.3.  Atik is a good company, and I am sure they will work it out for you.  it is always disappointing to get something defective though

Astrogate

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 06:41:39 pm »
I'm not sure that you have a problem, the images look pretty good to me, a reasonable amount of detail and very little noise for a single 90s frame.

I see that the peak of the histogram is around 250 to 300 but isn't that more an indication that the camera doesn't have much noise and you are fortunate enough to have a fairly dark sky.

What camera/optical setup are you comparing this with?

Chris R

Hi Chris

Please read my initial post and you will understand. There is 100% a problem with this camera and I have confirmed this by sending a bias frame to Atik for their analysis. I have been doing CCD imaging for over 15 years along with beta testing cameras for a very well know company for 8 years.

It should not take 90 seconds to capture M82 with the histogram at only 200 to 300 range using a fast f/3.7 RC 10" scope. I do not have dark skies (my skies are mag 3.5 to 4 at best) as a matter of fact I live in Toronto, Canada population 6 million people and have to use a light pollution filter which BTW was a good quality Lumicon Deep Sky filter used during my tests.

Chris A

Astrogate

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 06:42:56 pm »
Looks like an issue to me, I am glad they want you to return it.  The cigar galaxy is relatively bright.  I do have the mono camera, but can see that one really well at about 15 seconds at F3.3.  Atik is a good company, and I am sure they will work it out for you.  it is always disappointing to get something defective though

Thank you very much Mike and I know it will get resolved since Atik seems to be a very good company.

Chris A

Astrogate

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 02:23:21 pm »
Just to let you all know that my color Atik Infinity is on the way back to Woodland Hills for a replacement. I really like this camera with the nice ICX825 CCD sensor and it's excellent software, so I am hoping that the replacement will be a success. I will post my results here in the near future.

Chris A

StarMike

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »
Keep us posted when you get your new one back

Astrogate

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »
Thank you Mike I will and I should have a replacement back hopefully soon.

Chris