Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Infinity - First Light!  (Read 7902 times)

Spacedout

Infinity - First Light!
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:29:02 pm »
Hello All,

I managed to try out my new Infinity the other night and I was extremely pleased to say the least!   The software was a dream to use and is pretty much plug and play though I'm sure once I get chance to suss it out more I'll get better results.  I used the camera on my CPC 1100 Edge with M13 at F5 3.5 seconds and M57 at F10 and 5 seconds. 

So far so good :) 

Spacedout

Re: Infinity - First Light!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:31:34 pm »
M13

Jo

• Atik Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:10:33 pm »
Excellent first light from the looks of it, and both stars in M57 - hope to catch a broadcast soon  ;)

Jo

Astrogate

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 03:52:11 pm »
Both images are very nice and for slow focal ratios esp. f/10 the Infinity seems to be really sensitive with only 5 sec for M57.

Chris

Spacedout

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:21:00 pm »
Thanks Jo and note, this was in-between the house and garage both of which were beaming out light, not to mention the street lights and neighbours! Once I get up the garden and familiarize myself with the software these will improve quite a bit.   Great camera, great software and perfect for video astronomy and live video streaming  ;D

Thanks to you to Chris you are going to love this camera  ;)

StarMike

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:03 pm »
Great images!  You have to love the Infinity

Slipshoddon

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »
Hello All,

I managed to try out my new Infinity the other night and I was extremely pleased to say the least!   The software was a dream to use and is pretty much plug and play though I'm sure once I get chance to suss it out more I'll get better results.  I used the camera on my CPC 1100 Edge with M13 at F5 3.5 seconds and M57 at F10 and 5 seconds. 

So far so good :) 

Spacedout, what focal reducer did you use on the Edge HD? Was it an inexpensive 0.5x attached to the 1.25 inch camera nosepiece?

I have a C8 Edge HD with an Infinity. I'm experimenting with focal reducers using a 0.63x Antares SCT focal reducer combined with a 0.5x Antares 1.25 inch reducer.  The reducers are attached on both ends of the visual back.  I can achieve focus by sliding the camera nosepiece out slightly, (about 5mm) from the visual back.

However I experience extreme vingnetting and have to increase the black slider past the peak in the histogram to remove it. I don't have enough experience to know if this is to be expected with heavy light pollution. Did you have to do this type of histogram adjustment to eliminate light pollution?

Feedback is much appreciated and the pictures are nice.

Astrogate

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 04:06:40 pm »
Hi Don,

Good to hear that another one is happy with their Infinity and I should have my replacement is two weeks. I am very surprise that you would be getting vignetting at f/5 with an Edge C11 with an 11 mm CCD sensor. Vignetting is caused from too much focal reduction which cuts off the light cone. It is seen as a round bright spot of various sizes depending on how much vignetting there is and the outer edges & corners have no light or black. If this is the pattern then you have vignetting but you may also have gradients caused by light pollution, the moon or other sources. The pattern with show up as an uneven background where one side/area is brighter than the other side/area. If this is the case then you should use a good light pollution filter which will increase the contrast by eliminating or reducing the gradients. If you can post an example image showing what you are seeing the will be an easy way to diagnose your problem(s).

Chris A

Slipshoddon

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »
Hi Chris and thanks for this feedback.

I am probably closer to F3'ish because I am using a double reducer combination, a 0.63x attached to the SCT threads, then the visual back, then another 0.5x attached to the Infinity nosepiece.  Also my scope is a C8 Edge HD.  I'm sorry to make this more confusing because I was quoting an earlier post by Spacedout with a C11 at F5. This made both posts run together.

Anyway I am getting the severe vingnetting but I'll try a light pollution filter to see if that helps.  Also I'll vary the spacing between the 0.5x reducer and camera body to lessen the overall focal reduction and take some pictures next time.

Thanks again for the advice.

Astrogate

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »
Don reducing the spacing between the two reducers will help but not sure by how much and you may even have to go with one reducer. The light pollution filter will not help regarding the vignetting only for gradients. Be Careful not to raise the black point too high and clip the data in order to make the background darker to remove the vignetting.

Chris