Atik Cameras

Author Topic: New Atik460ex is this the camera or something else  (Read 4680 times)

andyo

New Atik460ex is this the camera or something else
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:50:09 pm »
Hi just got the Atik 460ex and got a clear sky early on in the evening so at dusk slewed to the moon and took a quick snap of it.However when I looked at the result and stretched it there was a light band coming from the moon vertically upward.I rotated the camera and the band stayed in the same position.I took a flat and that looks fine so is this a problem with the camera.
As on the atik website under maintenance tab,the video explaining about dust motes says if you rotate the camera and the mote stays in the same position then its on the sensor.Is this right? Surely if the mote is on the sensor then rotating the camera rotates the sensor and the dust mote would move position
http://www.atik-cameras.com/tutorials/
Due to size restrictions I could not attach the raw but have attached a stretched jpeg of the moon shot

chrisjbaileyuk

Re: New Atik460ex is this the camera or something else
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:43:25 pm »
That moon shot looks very normal to me. I'm sure someone from Atik will comment but you have a lot of saturated pixels in that shot and the camera can't cope with it.

If the dust mote is on the sensor (or more commonly the glass window in front of the camera) and you rotate the camera, that bit of dust stays in the same place in relation to the origin so effectively stays in the same place. If its on the filters, then rotating the camera means it moves in relation to the sensor origin.

Dust on the cover glass tends to give bigger shadows than dust on the filters and to track it down you can use this http://www.ccdware.com/resources/dust.cfm

andyo

Re: New Atik460ex is this the camera or something else
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply Chris,I also posted on stargazerslounge and the replies there all think this is normal behaviour for a ccd camera,I have only got experience with the 314L+ and it didn't do it with that just shows what a great little camera that is