Atik Cameras

Author Topic: ha and raw atik infinity images combination  (Read 5013 times)

theoatc

ha and raw atik infinity images combination
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:22:00 am »
night of experiments ,last night.I turned the scope to lagoon nebula.Took 15 minutes of capture with ha filter and another 15 minutes capture with just an ir cut filter.The two images were merged in photoshop and prosessed in lightroom .
It is the first time i use an ha filter ,and the very first time to attempt a blending of two different images.Much to be done to improve my technique, but it is a good start...

bwa

Re: ha and raw atik infinity images combination
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:20 am »
It is a good start!

I would suggest reducing the exposure a touch to reduce the white clipping, star bloating, in your image.  Or maybe it is the Auto Range setting causing the problem.  Try "FullRange" and move the Red bar in the histogram to adjust the brightness of the image.  The Black bar and White bar should both be within the bounds of the histogram.  If the White bar is against the right end, you're white clipping.  If the Black bar is against the left end, you're black clipping.

Enjoy the Infinity.  It is a hoot to use!  I've had both the Mono and Color units since they were first released.  I also use an ATIK Mono 428Ex.

bwa

theoatc

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:10:48 pm »
thanks  for tips.I ll  try them next time.What  bothers me the most is the lack   off sharpness in my final stacked images , as i see in other infinity users' photos.
I am on an evo 6 and meade 6.3 focal reducer.I m using a bahtinov mask ,so i am assuming it isn't bad focusing...

bwa

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:09:50 am »
Are you capturing RAW or Blended?  Blended is softer.

White clipping will also cause stars to look out of focus due to some degree of bloating as will too much stretching in postprocessing.

I've also found capturing subs and aligning and stacking them outside of the Infinity software can give better results.  It all depends upon sky conditions.

Another option is to to shoot several sessions at different exposures and do a high dynamic range merge in postprocessing.

Many, many options for processing for the best results...

bwa

theoatc

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:15:33 am »
so  ,you suggest  capturing blended  instead  of  raw?

SonnyE

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:54:07 pm »
I'm very interested in HA and it's use with the Infinity OSC camera.
I've done a little HA, but not tried blending the results.
To date, I've graduated from JPG, to TIF, and Guided Mode in PS Elements 12, to dabbling in Expert Mode.

My thoughts were more towards taking some images, stopping the capture, bringing in the HA7nm filter in the wheel, focusing, then continue with the original capture so the Infinity blends the HA into the result.

But I'm very new at this form of imaging. And a wounded bird from a very bad other camera. To me, this Infinity is the way beginning Astrophotography should have been.

theoatc

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 02:12:12 pm »
i don't know, if you stop capture ,change filter to Ha ,focus again, and restart capturing ,would work..
1st,there is higly chance the software , to reject the new frames .
2nd,supposly you are capturing a nebula.How would you focus ,if there is no big star in the frame?
When i am focusing , i point to a big star, put my bahtinov mask on, change exposure time to 1 sec and binning 1 and then i focus.
Despite all, i will try your method ,if u try it 1st and works let me know please

bwa

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:32 am »
so  ,you suggest  capturing blended  instead  of  raw?
No!  Softer means poorer detail.  Shoot RAW.

bwa