Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Major Issues  (Read 25325 times)

Phil HD925

Re: Major Issues
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 07:06:41 am »

You're getting much the same thing as I am, although it does sound like you're getting at least a few images that are reasonable!?  All of my exposures, regardless of length, are garbage!  And I also have had good luck with both a color and mono Infinity as well as an ATIK 428Ex.

Hope to get this problem resolved fairly fast or my opinion of ATIK might change...

bwa
[/quote]

That's unfortunate.  What are you using to power the camera?  Making the switch from my power bank to the house did make a difference for me.  After finally getting in focus, the camera performed flawlessly at 1x1 (much like my Infinity).  I think the exposures of less than a second might have contributed to the garbage captures.  I might try focusing in finder mode at 1x1 color next time.  Not sure if that will make a difference, but worth a shot.  Too darned cold tonight to get out, and tomorrow will most likely cloud over after sundown.  So, hopefully, I can test again next weekend if mother nature cooperates. 

On a side note, i had to change a setting for USB on my laptop.  'USB selective suspend:  to disabled'  I do know this made a difference in the polemaster capture software.  I would get random freezes in the video while going through the polar align process.  Disabling, solved the problem (at least when not plugged into a power source).  Of course, having the laptop plugged in, won't cause issues if suspend is enabled.  Not sure if this would affect the Horizon camera too, but worth a try.

bwa

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 08:17:38 am »

That's unfortunate.  What are you using to power the camera?  Making the switch from my power bank to the house did make a difference for me. ...

On a side note, i had to change a setting for USB on my laptop.  'USB selective suspend:  to disabled'  I do know this made a difference in the polemaster capture software.  I would get random freezes in the video while going through the polar align process.  Disabling, solved the problem (at least when not plugged into a power source).  Of course, having the laptop plugged in, won't cause issues if suspend is enabled.  Not sure if this would affect the Horizon camera too, but worth a try.
I've tried three different 110 volt ->12 volt power adapters; a 2 amp, 2.5 amp and 5.0 amp.  All work equally well and didn't resolve the problems.

I check on USB settings...

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 05:47:35 pm »

That's unfortunate.  What are you using to power the camera?  Making the switch from my power bank to the house did make a difference for me. ...

I've tried three different 110 volt ->12 volt power adapters; a 2 amp, 2.5 amp and 5.0 amp.  All work equally well and didn't resolve the problems.

bwa

Tried out the Celestron Power Bank (did a dry run inside the house last night).  Seems to work fine without cooling.  The second I turn on cooling though, you can definitely hear a difference in the speed of the cooling fan (gets slower).  Although, it did manage to cool -40C below ambient, I fear the lower fan speed could cause a problem for heat disipation.  I didn't experience any Infinity crashes, which was surprising.  The only time I was able to get it to crash, was with 4X4 color binning.  Crashes every single time.  I found your thread, sounds like you have been having a lot of trouble with this camera.  I've had some good nights with it, and some bad.  I've had more good images than bad, so there's that.  Hope you get yours resolved soon, because the image quality of this camera is fantastic.  I went through a lot of my old Infinity images yesterday, can't believe how much noise they have.  I think the Feb. 15th software update helped with a lot of my issues.  Has Atik support responded to your ticket yet? 

bwa

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:32 am »

bwa

Tried out the Celestron Power Bank (did a dry run inside the house last night).  Seems to work fine without cooling.  The second I turn on cooling though, you can definitely hear a difference in the speed of the cooling fan (gets slower).  Although, it did manage to cool -40C below ambient, I fear the lower fan speed could cause a problem for heat disipation.  I didn't experience any Infinity crashes, which was surprising.  The only time I was able to get it to crash, was with 4X4 color binning.  Crashes every single time.  I found your thread, sounds like you have been having a lot of trouble with this camera.  I've had some good nights with it, and some bad.  I've had more good images than bad, so there's that.  Hope you get yours resolved soon, because the image quality of this camera is fantastic.  I went through a lot of my old Infinity images yesterday, can't believe how much noise they have.  I think the Feb. 15th software update helped with a lot of my issues.  Has Atik support responded to your ticket yet?
I had a response from my dealer yesterday.  He will also chase ATIK for a resolution to problems.  ATIK support hasn't responded yet; however, it has been the weekend.  They have been good to me in the past.

bwa

Iria-Atik

• Atik Staff
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 02:24:09 pm »
Hi Bwa,

Sorry once again for this inconvenience. We're looking forward to receiving your camera and reproduce the problem here to fix the issue.

Thanks a lot for your patience!
Iria
Iria

bwa

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 02:36:26 am »
Problem resolved.  ATIK replaced the camera and the new one works perfectly!

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 09:55:24 pm »
Problem resolved.  ATIK replaced the camera and the new one works perfectly!

bwa

Nice!  I'm also happy to report the issues with my Horizon OSC have been solved.  I'm 99.99 percent sure my "garbage frames" issue was the result of a lack of power.  I use a power bank that has AC and DC power outputs.  I was always using the AC option, since I have the Atik 12V DC to AC adapter.  This combination always worked fine on "house" power, but always gave me trouble when using the AC outlets on the power bank.  One night, I decided to bypass this entirely and use the 12V DC out on the power bank instead.  I had a spare 12v DC cable (male-male) that I borrowed from my Celestron Power tank lithium.  And....boy, did that make a difference.  Garbage frames are now a thing of the past, and my power bank lasts way way longer. I've used this setup for the past 3 outings with zero problems.  Just as reliable and enjoyable to use as my Infinity OSC.  I'm a very happy camper!  Now, just hoping for Infinity enhancements that will tackle the "vignetting" problem for folks like me who use Hyperstar.   

For those wondering, here is the power bank I'm using (I have two now, one for my laptop, phone, and 2nd monitor.).  The other one I use just for the Horizon.  I don't think it's possible to use both AC and DC simultaneously on one. 

NEXGADGET 42000mAh Laptop Power Bank (found on amazon). 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:58:08 pm by Phil HD925 »

retret66

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »
I have the same problem, see my new post. Similar to what you have where hard lines and hard color coming in, but mine is more weird than yours, it started sending images that I took from previous week. I wish I never bought this product.

bwa

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 06:17:44 am »
I've also had too many problems with the color Horizon and no real response from ATIK support; sadly.

I was going to buy a mono Horizon but decided on a mono QHY 163.  I've had good success with QHY, the price was right and their support has been very good...

I'm still hoping ATIK will get the remaining problems ironed out with the Horizon, since I do intend to keep the color Horizon.

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 02:40:35 am »
I've also had too many problems with the color Horizon and no real response from ATIK support; sadly.

I was going to buy a mono Horizon but decided on a mono QHY 163.  I've had good success with QHY, the price was right and their support has been very good...

I'm still hoping ATIK will get the remaining problems ironed out with the Horizon, since I do intend to keep the color Horizon.

bwa

Sorry to hear you've been having issues.  A lot of the problems I experienced early on were not 100 percent the cameras fault.  Power is a big thing to consider, as well as your hardware.  Camera has worked beautifully since spring.  It really shines at a dark site, my vignetting problem (hyperstar issue) is greatly reduced away from the light pollution.  Here's an image of M31 from this weekend--taken from a dark site in the sierra nevada mountains.  There was a very light layer of smoke, but not enough to affect the image.  60 second exposures X 22 stacks, low gain setting, medium histogram setting, -18C, binning 1. Minor edits made in windows photo image software to bring out more detail. This is just a .jpeg file saved directly from the Infinity software. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:04:14 am by Phil HD925 »

bwa

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 04:40:06 am »
I too shot M31 a while back with the color Horizon.  Turned out reasonable after correcting for horizontal banding and a bit of amp glow.

bwa

Phil HD925

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 06:08:57 am »
I too shot M31 a while back with the color Horizon.  Turned out reasonable after correcting for horizontal banding and a bit of amp glow.

bwa

Wow!  That is some really nice detail in the core.  M31 is always bloated in the center, same with m42 for me.  I've always attributed this to the Infinity software stacking.  Did you stack in Infinity, or is this just core imaging with post processing/stacking? 

dpaul

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 11:57:21 pm »
Phil

Great result on M31 - what is the scope?
If you save FITS files with the Artemis software and processed the data is Pixinsight you would have an amazing result!

David

Phil HD925

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »
Phil

Great result on M31 - what is the scope?
If you save FITS files with the Artemis software and processed the data is Pixinsight you would have an amazing result!

David

9.25" edge HD on hyperstar.  Yes, since I don't have either pixinsight or photoshop (yet), I've been saving as jpeg files directly from Infinity.  I just do some minor edits in windows photo viewer...yes crude, but somewhat effective at bringing out more detail. 

bwa

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:15 pm »
Did you stack in Infinity, or is this just core imaging with post processing/stacking?
I've found there isn't really much difference between a live stacked image and one produced from subs.  It is simply being sure not to overexpose.

bwa