Atik Cameras

Author Topic: POST PROCESSING OF RAW DATA FROM HORIZON COLOUR CAMERA  (Read 5557 times)

dpaul

POST PROCESSING OF RAW DATA FROM HORIZON COLOUR CAMERA
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:11:08 am »
Hi,

Has anyone been saving raw data and getting successful debayered results from the Horizon Colour camera. I don't meant saving colour files ''as on screen'' but using the camera like a usual one-shot colour camera for imaging then post processing data using Pixinsight (etc).

I'm having problems with achieving correct colours / strong enough colours so great to see others have achieved good results.
Its fine live, its the processing I'm asking about.

Thanks

David

dpaul

Re: POST PROCESSING OF RAW DATA FROM HORIZON COLOUR CAMERA
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:39:30 am »
More update on this topic -

I have realised you ''cannot'' save 2x2 binning frames as RAW FITS files then debayer them later into Colour.
It doesn't work because the debayer pattern for the CMOS chip (e.g. RGGB, etc) is then changes because 4 pixels go into one superpixel. Great for enhanced live viewing but if you want to post process later then only use 1x1 binning - unless you're happy to process as a mono image.

Hopefully this helps others to not repeat the mistake I made last week.

David

bwa

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 12:22:19 am »
More update on this topic -

I have realised you ''cannot'' save 2x2 binning frames as RAW FITS files then debayer them later into Colour.
It doesn't work because the debayer pattern for the CMOS chip (e.g. RGGB, etc) is then changes because 4 pixels go into one superpixel. Great for enhanced live viewing but if you want to post process later then only use 1x1 binning - unless you're happy to process as a mono image.

Hopefully this helps others to not repeat the mistake I made last week.

David
I've found FIT files saved when using 2x2 or 4x4 color binning are automatically saved as 1x1 binned color files, i.e.: full size FIT files.  All you have to do to retrieve a color image is Debayer them.

bwa

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 12:07:38 am »
Hi bwa,

Thanks for the message - I haven't used the color camera since my last post (bad weather, etc), however I'll try again soon. If it does save as 1x1 then my main point is still relevant. I was really trying to say that you can't post process 2x2 or 4x4 binned data from a one-shot color camera.

For those (like me) who currently don't use guiding, I need 2x2 binning to reduce capture time. For the color Horizon, 2x2 binning is fine when live viewing with the infinity software but this level of detail will be lost when saved as Fits 1x1 for post processing.

David