Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Binning Question  (Read 5027 times)

rwstanley

Binning Question
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:16:51 pm »
I was wondering whether the pixels are averaged or summed when binning with the Atik Horizon.

Thanks,
Ron

dpaul

Re: Binning Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:27:19 am »
Hi Ron,

I asked this same question previously and it is average (not additive). 

I have both the mono and the colour Horizon cameras. With the mono I use 2x2 binning all the time but with colour versions it depends on what the use case is? Apologies if the following is already something you know -

For example, if you just want live images and save colour pictures 'as seen on the screen' then 2x2 is great and it works in colour.

However, if you want to save data in RAW fits format for subsequent post processing then ''don't use binning'' (which means the same as ''1x1 binning''). This is because the data is saved as mono (not colour) which then has to be converted to colour later (debayered). However, 2x2 binning destroys the ''colour filter array'' pattern on the cmos chip so you can no longer retrieve the colour image.

I made this mistake but now I avoid that problem.

Apologies if you know all this!

David

rwstanley

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 06:36:52 pm »
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.  The reason I asked is that I currently have a QHY 163M and it sums the pixels when binned so it makes it less useful for binning.  I was interested in the Atik Horizon in case I decide to change cameras.

Thanks,
Ron

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07:59 pm »
Hi Ron,

The Horizon it is a great camera - I have the mono and the colour version. Mostly I use the mono with LRGB imaging.

David

dpaul

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:09:19 pm »
Sorry Ron

I forgot to say - all the 6 pictures shown in the attachment were taken with the mono horizon.

David

rwstanley

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:28:26 pm »
Hi David,

Nice set of images.  The Atik Horizon certainly seems to be reliable judging from the few complaints on this forum.

-Ron

dpaul

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:20:39 pm »
Thanks Ron

There have been a few software glitches but all fixed I believe.

Regards

David