Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Linux drivers  (Read 11856 times)

milosz

Linux drivers
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:39:26 pm »
Hi folks,

I just learnt about 'new' Artemis CCDs. Quick browse of the website revealed the description of the SDK, that contains Linux drivers (http://www.artemisccd.com/support.html). I guess the 'scientific' cameras are the same as 'astronomical' ones (except for the chassis colour). So:

Dear ATIK, please share the linux drivers (even the binaries, user space, no source code) with 'astronomy' cameras users, please...

Cheers,
milosz

jolinar13

Re: Linux drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »
Hello,

I would also enjoy Linux drivers for my ATIK 314L+

We can read in the July ATIK Newsletter (#17) http://www.atik-cameras.com/external/Articles/AtikNL17.pdf that you are "developing software to support Atik cameras under linux, a process in which (you) have been helped by members of the wxAstroCapture project".

Is this project still on-going? If yes, when is the expected delivery?

Thank you.
Jolinar13

milosz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:32:56 pm »
I also read that newsletter. There is no information about that on wxAstroCapture site. But the site wasn't updated for 2 years or so. Cypress also doesn't help here as there is no Linux support for FX2 platform (the one that Atik is using).

On the other hand it is not that hard to upload the firmware using fxload. The firmware is embedded in the windows driver and pretty easy to extract. I even managed to do that. But the hard stuff starts just right after that. I have no idea about the protocol camera is using. Reverse engineering isn't easy in this case. I managed to decode a few commands (start exposure, download image with binning), but there is a lot of traffic going on the USB link.

Cheers,
milosz

skoop

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:47 pm »
Also waiting for Linux drivers for the 314
This camera is the only reason I still have to keep that damn MS Windows virtualbox image.

djibb

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »
First post : "November 19, 2012"

I'm really surprise Atik don't use linux community to do some drivers. OpenSource drivers are really the best solution : once driver made, kernel inclusion made... nothing to do, community keep it in.

I wanted to buy an Atik... I will stay one or two Months, then I will buy lumenara or TIS cameras if Atik does nothing about Linux... These have 100% Linux compat but are less adapted for what I wanna do.

Please Atik... We need Linux drivers

milosz

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:28:31 am »
There is hope!
I talked to Atik guys on astrofest yesterday. They are working on Linux drivers. There was a working example on display: Atik 314 connected to RaspberryPi. So keep fingers crossed!

Cheers,
milosz

cgb

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:48 pm »
This is great news! I am interested in buying a 314L+ but ideally would like to operate it from linux.

Would it be possible for any of the Atik affiliates to report on the status of the linux driver?

JamesF

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:58:50 am »
Chalk me up as another who'd love to see Linux support for ATIK cameras.

James

donbarry

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »
I'm also very interested in GNU+Linux drivers -- but they *must* be source for what runs on the GNU+Linux system.  This really is basic future-proofing computer hygiene: put proprietary elements (if necessary) in the firmware blob for the camera, but document the libusb interface. 

I develop for our instructional observatory where tools are used for decades.  I simply cannot and will not specify equipment which is given a throwaway binary driver and which I cannot guarantee will remain useable 15  years from now.

Gonzo

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:33:33 pm »
I'm highly interested in buying an Atik 314L+ however I only run Linux at home.
From the picture up there, it seems to be running on a PI (which I also have).

It would be very nice from Atik to release the driver.

gljiva

• Astrobin - ssprohar's gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »
Hi All,

Any news regarding linux drivers?

http://www.astrobin.com/users/ssprohar/
TELESKOPI: Celestron 2541ota; SkyWatcher ED-APO 80/600; Refractor 80/400; GSO RC/Carbon tube- 203/1624mm
MONTAZA: CGEM DX
KAMERE: Atik 1C; Atik 314EC; Atik 383LC; AlCCD5v;
DODATNA OPREMA: FF/FR x0.85;

shashi

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:30 am »
Any updates on the Linux support status ?   We received two of the Atik 383L+ cameras with EFW2 yesterday and I would like to use them with Linux.. 

RobertBarlow

• 314E
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:30 am »
Yes please. I'm using an INDI system on linux and would love to integrate the camera instead of running it on a separate laptop. BTW if have a 314E.   :)