Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Taking flats in Infinity  (Read 5143 times)

Phil HD925

Taking flats in Infinity
« on: October 22, 2018, 10:58:23 pm »
Anyone taking flats using the Infinity software?  I've used it for darks and bias, but not sure how to do flats in there.  Thanks

dpaul

Re: Taking flats in Infinity
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 01:34:06 am »
Hi Phil

I don't use flats but aren't they just the same exposure length and ''exact optical settings'' (e.g, camera rotation and focus position) but in the daylight with an opaque mask (e.g. a whilte cotton sheet) over the front of the scope?

David

Phil HD925

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:32:30 am »
Yes, Flats are taken with the same optical settings as the lights i.e. same focus, camera rotation, etc.  My question is, can this be accomplished in the Infinity software.  The thing about flats, you can't just use any exposure.  From what I've read, you need to pay attention to the histogram, which will guide you to the correct exposure length.  Not sure how this could be done in Infinity.  I'll need to research this more...

dpaul

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:12:31 pm »
Phil

I'm no expert with flats but why not use Artemis software?

David

Phil HD925

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:08 am »
Hi, David.  I have yet to use that software.  I've only been using Infinity for my video astronomy and astrophotograpy--recording to .fits files for stacking and processing in PixInsight.  I'll have to check it out, is it useful? 

dpaul

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:53 pm »
Hi Phil

Yes Artemis is the main Atik software, its the only tool I use for taking images

David

klaus

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »
Hi Phil,

You can use the free software Fitswork 4.47 (sorry german language only) to make a masterflat and divide the light by the masterflat. The histogram should show you  about 30.000 ADU ( max. 50% of full well ./. gain factor). I will try it next time, weather permitting ....

Need some help, please let me know

Klaus
Meade LX 200 EMC 8" , tracking mount bild in
Meade Reducer 0.63
Atik Infinity Mono
Bortle Class 5
MPSAS 19.6