Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Strategy for cooling?  (Read 2866 times)

magnusl

Strategy for cooling?
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:48:56 pm »
Hi!

I'm a new owner of a second hand Atik 383L+ mono, and I really love it. But... when cooling, I often get frost on the sensor. That is, I set the camera for -25 degrees celsius, while the ambient temperature is some 5-10 degrees above zero. It quickly cools down, but often with frost along the edges, that stays there for an some half hour or so. The dessicant tabelts should be OK, that is, the camera is not much used before I bought it.

I've been experimenting with cooling slower, thinking that the tablets maybe needs some time when the temperature falls so quickly and the water condenses. It seems that cooling to 0 or some -3 degrees for about 15 mins helps a little, but not all the way.

So I'm curious - how do the rest of you do, when cooling? Do you experience frost as well? Or is this an indication that I'd need to "recharge" my tablets?

Magnus

Crooro

Re: Strategy for cooling?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:09:36 pm »
First I would change the pads due to humidity (one problem less)! If you want to work (example) with a sensor at -20'C you have to gradually go down every 4-5'C at a time and wait a bit before continuing with other fewer degrees
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126536798@N07/
Mount: Gemini G53F
Optics: Newton Truss 254mm F/3.8
Tecnosky Apo 152/1216
Tecnosky EDT-80/480
Guide: Lodestar
Imaging: G2-4000 Moravian, Atik 414EX