Atik Cameras

Author Topic: New Core Software 5.0.0.4 Completely Broke My Horizon OSC  (Read 19397 times)

vince

• Atik Staff
Re: New Core Software 5.0.0.4 Completely Broke My Horizon OSC
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
Hi Craig,

It won't do any harm deleting the contents of this folder as it will be rebuilt the next time Dusk is launched, it will clear the existing program settings.

Best regards
Vince

CraigG

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:27 am »
Hi Vince!
I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks!
Craig

CraigG

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 11:38:43 am »
That did the trick! I just deleted the Settings file and the Dusk camera button functionality came back with the first restart. Everything else looks good so far before further testing.

Thanks SO much Phil and Vince...this really made my day! Whoo hoo!

Craig

Noah4x4

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 11:41:14 am »
Fingers crossed for you Craig.

I first suffered from this problem after installing 5.0.0.4, but with hindsight, it could all be coincidence. However, I recall eseeing exactly the same locked up (Infinity) screen that could not be cleared by Task Manager. Ultimately, I did a tedious complete restore of Windows 10 Pro and reinstalled all software. I guess this step must have cleared out the corrupt <settings> folder.

I then had another computing/power crash. BTW, am not blaming Atik! It was at a time when I was experimenting with different WiFi and Power options for my remote controlled EAA rig. I repeatedly updated my Atik core software (there have been many iterations) and Infinity/Horizon ran sluggish and often disconnected. However, Sequence Generator Pro ran fine.

Then, I noticed in the Change Log that 5.0.4.6 fixed a "Horizon disconnection" problem.  So I downloaded that and then 5.0.4.7. By coincidence, I had another power glitch (local power cut due to high winds). Infinity locked up with the same screen that I first saw in April. I tried a complete reinstall, but stopped short of a Window restore. I had a chat with Andrew, he spoke with the software guys. This issue was fixed simply by deleting the <settings file> under ProgramData > Atik > Infinity > and allowing the software to restore it. No need to fully restore Windows. My Infinity/Horizon is now running in true "real time" and all my long woes seemingly gone.

If Vince or Andrew are picking up this thread, it might be an idea to try to find a way to ensure that any corrupt local <settings> data is cleaned out on any software update or reinstall. In my experience, Windows does seem to want to hang onto it (like it has done in the past with redundant drivers).  Good luck Craig, but I think this might also work in Dusk. ...

Noah4x4

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:44 am »
Craig, your post overtook mine. I share your delight as this has been ongoing for both of us.

Vince/Andrew, this issue does need looking at because power and WiFi glitches are common amongst those of us that dabble with remote control etc. Surely, there must be a way of automatically clearing out the <settings> folder on any core software reinstallation as that is the instinctive step most users take when problems arise. OK, could issue a simple instruction about how to fix this manually. But as it is a 'hidden' folder that is less desirable.

This has made my and Craig's day!

chakel

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 05:22:11 pm »
Great work gentlemen!

Noah4x4

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 05:43:12 pm »
As I reported previously , the latest incarnation of Atik core software appears to work fine, whilst my computers performance continued to be occasionally troublesome. Took me a while to identify the issue, but I have resolved this simply by increasing the RAM in my NUC.

I realise that this is an obvious solution with hindsight, but when Infinity previously worked fine a lack of resources is not one's first thought. Evidently something unknown has been pushing my resources beyond it limits (probably some Windows 10 rubbish). It might worth others upgrading RAM if they perceive any slow performance. I reckon at least 8 Gb is desirable.

CraigG

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:15 pm »
Thanks Phil!
-Craig

To follow-up on the hidden Settings file mystery, I sent the contents of my before and after (corrupted) Dusk Settings files for Chris at Atik to review at their request.

Noah4x4

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 11:15:50 pm »
Just thought I would add a positive postscript to this thread....

Firstly, I have upgraded my Intel NUC to eighth generation i7 with 16 Gb RAM. At last, I am now enjoying the performance from my Atik Horizon that I always sought. It is now 100% stable with the latest Atik core software.

My conclusion is that my previous seventh generation i5 with 8 Gb RAM was the minimum desirable for single exposure AP. Once stacking, that lower specification PC will run, but somewhat slowly. The Atik Horizon clearly benefits from the extra ooomph of my upgrade to 8i7.

The latest ASCOM Driver also works fine with Sequence Generator Pro. The only nuisance is that when you connect camera, the select camera dialogue box appears behind the main application window. You need to click on its task bar icon to bring it into the foreground to select Horizon OSC. But once you are aware of this foible it is no big deal. One is also limited to the low, medium & high Gain presets. To be frank, what I have recently been doing is running autofocus in SG Pro, then switching to Atik Infinity for my EAA sessions. This combination works great and offers me the best of both worlds.

CraigG

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 12:13:01 am »
Good news Phil!

I'll add that I've had improved Horizon stability when I replaced my 12v "jump start" box with a full size deep cycle marine battery. Even though this power source had worked fine in the past, I found that I was having to restart my Horizon(s) multiple times during a session after they stopped producing new images even though Infinity was still running. Lesson learned...don't skimp on the power supply!

Craig

chakel

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 03:42:16 am »
Phil and Craig,
That is great news to hear!
Cheers,
John