Atik Cameras

Author Topic: EFW2 and 36 mm Astronomik filters  (Read 9318 times)

pf_fin

EFW2 and 36 mm Astronomik filters
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:08:37 pm »
Hi,
does anyone had problems inserting the 36 mm filters on the 7 position carousel? On my wheel some filters  from Astronomik seems too big and some "moves" inside its position....

The wheel design is for 2 mm thick filters?

Thank you

Piero
Clear skies!
Piero

MicroAstro

Re: EFW2 and 36 mm Astronomik filters
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:58:11 pm »
When I first got my EFW2 in Feb 2011, the 36mm Astrodon filters had problems -- about half would fit and half wouldn't. I contacted both Atik and Astrodon, and measured the filters, and it turns out that the Astrodon filters had size of 36mm +/- 0.1mm, and about half the filters were 36.1mm in diameter and wouldn't fit in the 36mm dia holes. Atik was very prompt in correcting the problem, and remachined the carousel holes to accept the slightly larger filters. The new carousel they sent me fit all of my filters. So I would wonder if this is the same problem with the Astronomik filters. If you have calipers I suggest you measure your filters and check the diameter. It could be that you got one of the older carousels that had exactly 36mm dia holes rather than one of the remachined ones that have 36.1mm dia holes?
...Keith

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:06:35 pm »
So is this no longer an issue with the current stock of EFW2? I just received mine about two weeks ago and am going to be buying filters shortly. I was originally thinking of the Baader set which is 36mmx2mm thick. A friend suggested i should get the Astrodon's instead (but way more expensive) But the Astrodon's are 36mmx3mm thick - would this pose any issues?

Any advice is appreciated.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

ruitripa

• Atik Staff
    • Atik Cameras
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:48 am »
Hi,

THe EFW2 can accept 3 and 2mm thick filters by default. We include o-rings as spacer for the 2mm filters. We did increase de diameter slightly to accommodate the filter tolerances quite a while back, so you should have one of the newer disks.
Rui Tripa

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:57:59 am »
Thanks for the reply Rui!
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

pf_fin

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:04 am »
Keith,
I received my wheel beginning of April 2011; the carousel has exactly 36mm dia holes and the Astronomik filters dia is from 35.8 to 36.1: that's why some of them do not fit!

I already wrote to ATIK-contact to ask what they could do, and I'm waiting for them.

Some advice to all EFW2 owner: Astronomik 36 mm filter are 1 mm thick! They are too thin for the EFW2!
When you buy filter always verify the filter thickness: should be 2/3 mm.

Clear skies!
Piero