Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Problem with FilterWheelRunner on Windows 7 64 bits  (Read 13976 times)

Vincent Bouttard

Problem with FilterWheelRunner on Windows 7 64 bits
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:34 am »
Hello

I have troubles with the Atik FilterWheelRunner tool. Nothing happens when I try to connect to the EFW2...
The EFW2 seems to be installed because I can change select a filter with ArtemisCCD and the wheel turns.
Do you know this problem ?

I've also noted that the filter wheel is installed as "input USB device". When I try to install the "official" Atik 64 bits driver, Windows 7 answers me that the driver is already installed. Is there any conflict between driver versions (32 bits or 64 bits or both) in Windows 7 ?

FilterWheelRunner is a very good tool to simply use the filter wheel and to match filter number with filter name. This is very useful.

Vincent

EDIT :
I tried with Prism8, through Ascom Platform 6. I select the Ascom driver for Atik and the Ascom FilterWheelRunner works fine. But I have to use Prism8 to do that and not the FilterWheelRunner alone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:44:31 am by Vincent Bouttard »

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: Problem with FilterWheelRunner on Windows 7 64 bits
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:01 pm »
Hello,
The FEW2 uses the standard Windows HID drivers and comes up as an input device in device manager.  So all looks well.  I think we will have to wait until the new year when we are all back in the office before we will be able to get to the bottom of the filterwheel runner issue.
Best
Steve

jarbi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »
Hello,
The FEW2 uses the standard Windows HID drivers and comes up as an input device in device manager.  So all looks well.  I think we will have to wait until the new year when we are all back in the office before we will be able to get to the bottom of the filterwheel runner issue.
Best
Steve

Thanks Steve, that's already a good step ahead. But more important is to be able to use EFW2 as an ASCOM filterwheel in Nebulosity ( I think I am not alone with this ).
For me it is very important to facilitate my LRGB imaging sessions. It worked perfectly on my retired XP laptop, but I cannot use it on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop unfortnately.

clear skies,
Janos

jonathan

• Atik Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »
Hello,

I have no problem controlling the Atik EFW2 on a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop using Nebulosity via ASCOM. I am using Nebulosity V2.5 and ASCOM V6.0. Please could you provide details of how it is failing, with screenshots of any error messages? We will need to look into the problem with FilterWheelRunner reported by Vincent.

Best regards,

Jonathan
(Atik)

Vincent Bouttard

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:22 am »
Hello all

Happy new year to the Atik team.

Jonathan,
I follow the steps below :

1. I connect the EFW2 to the computer on the same USB port where the software suite has been installed before. As this time, the filter wheel works fine with ArtemisCCD (I disconnect the filter wheel before exiting ArtemisCCD).

2. I launch the FilterWheelRunner. The message is "Wheel is disconnected". The "Setup" button and all drop-down lists are deactivated.

3. I check the "Connect" box Nothing happens. The "Setup" button and all drop-down lists are still deactivated but the "Connect" box is checked.

I hope that you will solve that problem soon.

Best regards
Vincent
(Optique Unterlinden)

jarbi

Solution !
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:45:12 am »
Hi Vincent,

I have found a solution - provided by Atik  :D. You need to install Dawn, there you find the Ascom plugin for EFW2. For me it all works fine now, thanks Atik !

Clear skies,
Janos

Hello all

Happy new year to the Atik team.

Jonathan,
I follow the steps below :

1. I connect the EFW2 to the computer on the same USB port where the software suite has been installed before. As this time, the filter wheel works fine with ArtemisCCD (I disconnect the filter wheel before exiting ArtemisCCD).

2. I launch the FilterWheelRunner. The message is "Wheel is disconnected". The "Setup" button and all drop-down lists are deactivated.

3. I check the "Connect" box Nothing happens. The "Setup" button and all drop-down lists are still deactivated but the "Connect" box is checked.

I hope that you will solve that problem soon.

Best regards
Vincent
(Optique Unterlinden)

Vincent Bouttard

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:20 pm »
Jarbi,

All work fine through Ascom Platform 6, using softwares as Prism8 or Audela or whatever. But the FilterWheelRunner standalone software seems to have a problem on Windows 7 64 bits.

FilterWheelRunner is interesting when you use a software which is not able to manage the Atik filter wheel directly or through the ASCOM platform (like a planetary camera software, for example).

Vincent

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »
Hi,

Isn't it possible to use ine program for controling the FW and another for imaging, i think this  would work fine in your case?
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
I have a similar issue when trying to use it with MAxim DL on my 64 bit laptop. WHen I try and connect and get the Ascom chooser it does not show up. Upon further testing I eventually get a message that the installed driver is only compatible with 32 bit machines. So I tried it on an older 32 bit laptop and all works fine there.
So to of it seems that there is no 64 bit driver shipped in the two disks.
Is there a 64 bit driver available somewhere for the EFW2?
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11