Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizontal Banding - Color Horizon - Still a problem!  (Read 21577 times)

Noah4x4

Re: Horizontal Banding - Color Horizon - Still a problem!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 07:37:36 am »
I ceased using Infinity and it's Low, Medium, High presets and switched to Sharpcap Pro for EAA largely because it offered flats/darks on the fly and other advanced features. However, Infinity is great for beginners as it is so easy and Sharpcap is comparatively difficult. So please don't view my comments as criticism of Infinity.

However, using SharpCap Pro's custom exposure/gain sliders I can remove any unwelcome banding, which I also see with my ZWO ASI294, so this issue isn't unique to the Horizon.  I think it is an issue with Infinity's too narrow inflexible software presets.

So, if suffering from banding, instead use Custom Gain to find the right combination. The learning curve is steeper with custom gain settings, but I don't think there is any problem with the camera, nor with Infinity if prepared to use custom Gain.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:40:38 am by Noah4x4 »

Moonrider

Re: Horizontal Banding - Color Horizon - Still a problem!
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 02:35:17 am »
That is my understanding too, more of an issue with the presets. I presently use custom and like you, can mostly eliminate the banding. Also it is important to have the "Even illumination" option selected.