Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizon II Flats with apparent severe gradient  (Read 3370 times)

sgbfree

Horizon II Flats with apparent severe gradient
« on: November 01, 2020, 05:09:21 am »
I'm enjoying my Horizon II, and have been capturing flats using an LED tracing tablet and Sharpcap. My flats seem to have a rather severe gradient which seems very odd. I've rotated the tracing tablet to make sure it's not the issue, and that made no difference.
Any ideas what might be going on?
Thanks
Steve Bennett

vince

• Atik Staff
Re: Horizon II Flats with apparent severe gradient
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:00 pm »
Hello Steve,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the camera. Do you have "even illumination" ticked in the ASCOM setup properties box?

Best regards
Vince

sgbfree

Re: Horizon II Flats with apparent severe gradient
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:22:46 am »
Vince,

Circling back to re-visit this topic;
I was able to use the Artemis software to find and check the "even illumination" setting you mention, which did eliminate the severe gradients on my light-table flats.

Re-reading the user manual on this topic leads me to ask a follow up question about the  implications for capturing the various types of calibration frames. For short-exposure calibration frames (flats, flat-darks, bias) I'm assuming it makes sense to have the "even illumination" setting checked.
However, based on the comments in the user manual, for deep sky science frames, and dark frames, it sounds like those captures would be better captured with "even illumination" unchecked.
Am I reading this right?
Thanks.

Steve Bennett