Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents  (Read 5378 times)

ebeshore

Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents
« on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:48 pm »
Hi -

I am getting up to speed with my Horizon II. So far all is good. Using The SkyX + Voyager to plan and execute my imaging and I have used the LOW preset for my initial calibration runs. For future work, I would like to record the GAIN and OFFSET values in the FITS header, and I was hoping someone at ATIK could supply me with the approximate GAIN/OFFSET values for the LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH presets.

Many thanks,

Ed Beshore
Colorado, USA

ebeshore

Re: Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »
Hi. I noticed a lot of folks have read this question but no answers.

Some time ago i ran the ATIK Dusk software and got the presets.  For your information, here they are:

GAIN and OFFSET values for PRESETS (HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW) HORIZON II monochrome

HIGH
GAIN    =                   30                                                 
OFFSET  =                  130                                                 

MEDIUM
GAIN    =                    6                                                 
OFFSET  =                   33                                                 

LOW
GAIN    =                    1                                                 
OFFSET  =                   18

scottietubbs

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:30:26 am »
I would like to find out too – following.

Noah4x4

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 06:52:50 am »
The original Horizon OSC and ZWO ASI1600 have identical sensors. My understanding is that Atik Horizon and ZWO simply use a different (x10) graduation for gain, as one is in whole units and another is tenths. Hence, 10 in Atik Speak = 100 ZWO and 30 = 300 etc. I found this very useful when I migrated from Atik Infinity software to Sharpcap because although Infinity was brilliantly simple for beginners given its presets, it lacked many features (but I believe Dusk has since remedied). I followed the gain (divided by ten) and exposure settings that were being used by ASI1600 users when posting images in more active forums.

However, I still struggled with finding correct exposure and gain without such comparisons until I discovered the Brain and Smart Histogram functionality in Sharpcap. I hence did a Sharpcap Sensor Analysis on my Horizon and have never looked back. It guides you to the best settings. I don't use Dust or Artemis so can't comment about those, but tools do exist in Sharpcap that can assist.

AmityJane

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 03:15:05 am »
Hello. Hope to be able to help you
The sensors in the original Horizon OSC and the ZWO ASI1600 are identical. Atik Horizon and ZWO, in my understanding, simply utilize a different (x10) graduation for gain since one is in whole units and the other is in tenths. As a result, in Atik Speak, 10 equals 100 ZWO, 30 equals 300, and so on. When I switched from Atik Infinity to Sharpcap, I found this incredibly handy since, although Infinity was delightfully easy for novices because to its defaults, it lacked numerous functions (but I believe Dusk has since remedied). When submitting photographs in more active forums, I followed the gain (divided by 10) and exposure settings established by ASI1600 users.                                                                                                        tiny fishing

rabbleoily

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:12:18 am »
The original Horizon OSC and ZWO ASI1600 have identical sensors. My understanding is that Atik Horizon and ZWO simply use a different (x10) graduation for gain, as one is in whole units and another is tenths. Hence, 10 in Atik Speak = 100 ZWO and 30 = 300 etc. I found this very useful when I migrated from Atik Infinity software to Sharpcap because although Infinity was brilliantly simple for beginners given its presets, it lacked many features (but I believe Dusk has since remedied). I followed the gain (divided by ten) and exposure settings that were being used by ASI1600 users when posting images in more active forums.

However, I still struggled with finding correct exposure and gain without such comparisons until I discovered the Brain and Smart Histogram functionality in Sharpcap. I hence did a Sharpcap Sensor Analysis on my Horizon and have never looked back. It guides you to the best settings. I don't use Dust or Artemis so can't comment about those, but tools do exist in Sharpcap that can assist. slime rancher 2
Sensor-wise, both the original Horizon OSC and the ZWO ASI1600 are interchangeable. Since Atik Horizon's gain is measured in whole units and ZWO's is measured in tenths, the two systems presumably use different (x10) graduations for gain. Therefore, in Atik Speak, 10 is equivalent to 100 ZWO, 30 to 300, and so on.