Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents  (Read 1516 times)

ebeshore

Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents
« on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:48 pm »
Hi -

I am getting up to speed with my Horizon II. So far all is good. Using The SkyX + Voyager to plan and execute my imaging and I have used the LOW preset for my initial calibration runs. For future work, I would like to record the GAIN and OFFSET values in the FITS header, and I was hoping someone at ATIK could supply me with the approximate GAIN/OFFSET values for the LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH presets.

Many thanks,

Ed Beshore
Colorado, USA

ebeshore

Re: Horizon II presets and their GAIN equivalents
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »
Hi. I noticed a lot of folks have read this question but no answers.

Some time ago i ran the ATIK Dusk software and got the presets.  For your information, here they are:

GAIN and OFFSET values for PRESETS (HIGH/MEDIUM/LOW) HORIZON II monochrome

HIGH
GAIN    =                   30                                                 
OFFSET  =                  130                                                 

MEDIUM
GAIN    =                    6                                                 
OFFSET  =                   33                                                 

LOW
GAIN    =                    1                                                 
OFFSET  =                   18

scottietubbs

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:30:26 am »
I would like to find out too – following.

Noah4x4

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 06:52:50 am »
The original Horizon OSC and ZWO ASI1600 have identical sensors. My understanding is that Atik Horizon and ZWO simply use a different (x10) graduation for gain, as one is in whole units and another is tenths. Hence, 10 in Atik Speak = 100 ZWO and 30 = 300 etc. I found this very useful when I migrated from Atik Infinity software to Sharpcap because although Infinity was brilliantly simple for beginners given its presets, it lacked many features (but I believe Dusk has since remedied). I followed the gain (divided by ten) and exposure settings that were being used by ASI1600 users when posting images in more active forums.

However, I still struggled with finding correct exposure and gain without such comparisons until I discovered the Brain and Smart Histogram functionality in Sharpcap. I hence did a Sharpcap Sensor Analysis on my Horizon and have never looked back. It guides you to the best settings. I don't use Dust or Artemis so can't comment about those, but tools do exist in Sharpcap that can assist.