Atik Cameras

Author Topic: How to remove adapter????  (Read 12421 times)

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
How to remove adapter????
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:05 am »
I have the EFW2 to 383L+ T-adapter stuck in the camera, and I can't get it out.  Any advice on how to unscrew the adapter?  I've tried warming the camera and then icing the adapter, but it still won't budge.  The only thing I can think of next would be to drill two holes on opposite sides and fashion a tool with a handle to unscrew the adapter.  There's got to be a better way...

bwa

Re: How to remove adapter????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:02 am »
Joel,

I get Baader filters stuck in everything.  I find a jar opener works wonders!  Set of 3 for $4.00...

http://www.giftsandgadgets.ab.ca/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/3055?PHPSESSID=34139095bb78fdecfc01c53df70b7125

bwa

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »
Strange as mine already has the two drilled holes, useful as mine gets stuck fast all the time. My usual trick with filters and T-Spacers is to use a cable tie (tighten down and use the loose end to gain some purchase) but there won't be enough of a projection to use that method.

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Perhaps I had an earlier version of the adapter, because mine did not have holes in it.  I have now tried a jar opener, and in desperation have drilled and tapped to screw holes in the adapter and tried to use a metal rod as a lever to unscrew the adapter.  Unfortunately the bugger is stuck fast.  My last effort might be to remove the CCD chamber housing (the black round part) and heat up the casing to a higher degree and ice the adapter and try that again.  Sheesh, I had no idea this would be so hard!

Guy Walsh

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:31 pm »

Cut across both sides diagonally with a hacksaw, simply use a thing kitchen knife in the groves next time it gets stuck... works every time for me.. 

Chris

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »
It's possible to get C clamps for removing filters and such like from camera lenses, a search for camera filter wrench get you here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=camera+filter+wrench&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7969110646&ref=pd_sl_6t9f7i16oj_b

I've managed to get away with using a jar opener, the sort with a strip that goes round and a handle.

But now I've made a clamp from a piece of plastic, similar to the things in the pictures but much cruder.

Chris

joelshort

• buckeyestargazer.net
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:39 am »
Chris, thanks for the link to the filter wrenches.  The adapter is well and truly stuck and after everything I've tried it's not coming out.  However I ordered some of those filter wrenches because it will be good to have those around, I'm sure, and they are cheap.
joel