Atik Cameras

Author Topic: 383L+ Desiccant recharge - gas oven?  (Read 10431 times)

DMouse

383L+ Desiccant recharge - gas oven?
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi, I did email ATIK but havent had a reply on this yet. I know you can bake desiccant in an electric oven @ I believe 190C for 2 hours.. But can I do the same in a gas oven, and if so are there any extra precautions I should take?
I know a gas flame generates moisture, and thats why it bakes better cakes. So should I use Bake or Roast?

Thanks

Paul

andysea

Re: 383L+ Desiccant recharge - gas oven?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:07:48 am »
Wow I never thought of that but you're right. Gas ovens are better for baking for that reason. I'm interested in knowing the answer to that question too!

Andy
Tak NJP, AP Mach1+trl36, Kenko Skymemo
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »
LOL, never combined charge coupled devices with baking before; nice  ;D
The gas flame is really producing a small amount of moisture; this should be no big deal as the tablets still stay warm once taken out of the oven; and evaporate a small amount of moisture.

I procede like this with my baader desiccant (the orange stuff), heat it up for about 80 minutes @ 180°C until the colour turns from green back to orange again --> this in an electrical oven...

This concludes my receipt: How to cook desiccant for astronomy  ;)

Best
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

Chris

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »
Would a microwave oven work?

I've regenerated silica gel in the microwave, it only seems to take a few minutes but not sure about the desiccant tablets.

Chris

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »
I am not sure that the microwave option is working, with silica gel i heard that it damages the outer cell and gently takes off the power of humdity absorbtion.
The only "good" way to proceed is in an electrice oven...
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

ruitripa

• Atik Staff
    • Atik Cameras
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:16 am »
You can use a gas oven, althought the electric is better. Microwave is an option but be careful! The tablets can reach a very high temperature inside a microwave oven (>500ºC), and the recipient holding them must be able to support that! Forget about normal glass cups, etc.
Rui Tripa

DMouse

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »
Hi, well I did recharge using my gas oven and to date, about 2 months later, there has not been any frosting issues with the camera. I am starting to get a patch to the lower left of the sensor, not frost, just  a lighter area on my images, so I may recharge soon. But as far as I can tell all is good.
BTW I baked the dessicant for 90min on 190C, not convect bake.

Clear Skies