Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik Base and Stellarmate unable to register  (Read 2788 times)

Altouch

Atik Base and Stellarmate unable to register
« on: January 17, 2022, 02:41:43 am »
I’ve had my Atik Base almost a week now, and it is a complete paperweight so far.  The Stellarmate web site leaves a lot to be desired. First off, any error messages are hidden under the Stellarmate banner at the top of the page. Once you figure that out, you can look for them by finding the very small slider spot that at least partially displays the error message.

It took several days to get a support message back to figure out how to register.  Problem with recaptcha not working (accidentally stumbled on the hidden error message by scrolling) They fixed the recaptcha issue.

Now I am trying to register my Atik Base S/N.  I sign in to Stellarmate, then go to licenses.  I enter my S/N the whole number without a dash, the whole number with a dash, just the first part of the number. Whatever I do it has the hidden error message that when made readable - says “You have no devices registered.” 

So far a possible good device held hostage by horrid web interface and support. A waste of $US324 for what is essentially a paperweight due to a poor web site which does not allow registration per the instructions provided with the Atik Base.

Any ideas?  I would really like to give it a fair try. 

I can connect to it via WiFi, I figured out the WiFi password which is not in the Atik Base instructions. It is in the Stellarmate instructions, but not called the WiFi password. Once there,  csn’t do anything as I don’t have any devices registered.

So far, pretty unimpressed with the Stellarmate web site user interface. .

Altouch

Re: Atik Base and Stellarmate unable to register
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 02:35:55 pm »
Found the answer. The little label on a brother label form was upside down stuck to the foam packaging. The flip side of this label had the S/N I needed. Pic attached.

Altouch

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 09:15:38 pm »
The saga continues!  For every step forward there is a roadblock. I can connect to the Atik Base, run the iOS version of Stellarmate.  It tries to connect and gives an error message that Ekos Live is not running and to contact Stellarmate support. So, once again another day’s delay.

I can use the hdmi port to connect to a TV/monitor.  I found an old wired keyboard and bought a wired mouse.  I can talk to it - but have not yet figured out how to start Ekos live. I can interact with Kstars. However dragging a monitor, keyboard, mouse out to use the Atik Base is more stuff than just using a laptop.

So far it has been a horrid experience, and I’ll likely be this way as I connect my equipment - if I ever get it running.  Very very cumbersome and twiddly and trying of patience. I predict at least one support e-mail (and day of lag) per new item tried. The USA to Europe time lag is inevitable and tolerable if support wasn’t needed for each and every item as there are roadblocks at each new step.

So far it is not plug and play.  It is not even plug and pray. It is twiddle and pray.

Altouch

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 03:50:33 am »
I got in touch with Stellarmate. The software needs an update, both on the Atikbase and for iOS. I used the “Software Updater” on the Ubuntu-mate desktop. It ran and took a while. When done, it updated - but now there is no WiFi. I can connect with wired ethernet to the web, and do another software update to see if something was missed. Still no WiFi.  I have searched Ubuntu-mate online and there is no guidance as to how to get WiFi back.  I still have the hotspot connection setup shown, but can’t turn on the WiFi.  I bought the thing so I could use WiFi and have power distribution and a focus controller and plate solving.

No joy in getting the wifi fixed so far.  If I want to use it with my telescope I need a monitor, a wired keyboard, a wired mouse - which is worse than using a laptop. 

Anyone got any ideas? 

Altouch

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 02:25:41 am »
Atik cameras sent me a link to a fresh copy of the Atik base software. I loaded it onto windows machine and flashed it to a microSD card using balenaEtcher. The Atik base didn’t work with it. It turns out there was an error 8T the formatting of the microSD card. A good clean format with FAT32 needs to be done, then flash with balenaEtcher.  Then, the fresh copy works!  Superb! 

Now I can actually start connecting devices and learning how to use Kstars and Ecos to control my Mount, imager, guider, and focus motor. Now for the learning I had planned on after doing the learning that was unplanned.

Altouch

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 05:02:59 am »
It has been a while since I posted on the continuing sad story of the AtikBase. So far its most useful feature is as a 12volt power distribution box. I can talk to it on WiFi now after reloading the image from Atik. I can connect to my Mount (CGE) and my focus motor (Pegasus Astro Focus Cube). I can fire up Kstars on my windows machine and connect to the Atikbase via WiFi and tell the telescope where to go.  I can issue a set point for the focus motor and it will go to that set point. My AtikHorizon won’t connect. The driver crashes. Likewise the QHYCCD driver crashes.  So my Atik Horizon is not usable with the Atik base. Nor is my guide camera. 

When doing auto-detect of USB ports, both the Atik camera and the QHY5III178M are recognized. However they can’t be used because the driver crashes. Therefore Stellarmate app on the iPad can’t be used as there must be at least one usable camera. Good thing Kstars on windows let’s me know the Mount and focus motor work.  However not worthwhile without any cameras.

So, back to being a very lightweight paperweight. Not a very good paperweight as it is too light <grin>. Now I guess I must go I search of valid drivers for Atik cameras and QHY cameras. I had at least expected the Atik camera to connect without flaw when using an Atikbase. I had expected to fight with everything else.

So far a very poor experience and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Neither the Atikbase or Stellarmate. Maybe as I fight with it over the coming months or years it might eventually work.  One can hope.