Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 314l + mono as a semie live camera  (Read 13744 times)

jaleader

Atik 314l + mono as a semie live camera
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:34 am »
Hi
 How does this camera work as a semie live camera. I was thinking of say 3 to 5 minute exposures stacked live with DSS live. I am interested in imaging galaxies. I am not interested in doing a lot of processing so I can live with a few warm pixels.
  Thanks for any input.
                                                                     John

jaleader

Re: Atik 314l + mono as a semie live camera
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »
 Nobody answered my question ;) so I will answer it myself. I bought this camera 2 weeks ago and since then I have photgraphed about 30 different galaxies.
 I use a 6 inch f-5 Newtonian . It works fantastic as a short exposure imager with great live views as well.I have been using Dawn and registering and combining 5 images which I exposed  for 3 minutes. Low noise etc I am impressed!!! ;D

MikeM

• myastroimages.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »
Very nice result for the short integration time.
Clear Skies!!
Mike

FSQ106N - AT8RC
G-11

Lex

• We do it at night...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:51:36 pm »
Nice resu
Nice result, low noise because of short exposures  8)
CGEM, C11, TS Carbon Apo Triplet 90/600, TS Carbon UNC 254/1250, Atik 383l+, EFW2,
TSOAG, Lodestar....

bwa

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
It works fantastic as a short exposure imager with great live views as well.  I have been using Dawn and registering and combining 5 images which I exposed  for 3 minutes. Low noise etc I am impressed!!! ;D
John,

Have you looked at Deep Sky Stacker Live for real time stacking?  Works like a charm; just keeps stacking images as they are taken...  Image just keeps improving as more subs show up.

bwa

jaleader

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:25:14 am »
It works fantastic as a short exposure imager with great live views as well.  I have been using Dawn and registering and combining 5 images which I exposed  for 3 minutes. Low noise etc I am impressed!!! ;D
John,

Have you looked at Deep Sky Stacker Live for real time stacking?  Works like a charm; just keeps stacking images as they are taken...  Image just keeps improving as more subs show up.

Yes I have used Deep Sky Stacker Live with my Mallincam I was actually thinking of using it with my Atik as well.  Thanks for the input . By the way I am totally amazed at the low noise from  the Atik camera it is just amazing!!! ;D
                                                            John

bwa

Ebone

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »
Nice use for the 314L, John.
I agree not only full processed aesthetic images that matters.
This way you're doing, you can get a lot of good data for you observation purposes in a given time.
I have a 314L+ too and I'm always pleased the way image appears right on the Capture screen. Image is so clean that many times I think is usable for investigation purpose in a single frame.

Sandro

bwa

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:32:15 am »
I have a 314L+ too and I'm always pleased the way image appears right on the Capture screen. Image is so clean that many times I think is usable for investigation purpose in a single frame.
I find the same to be true w/ the 428Ex.  Just watching the subs display as taken or auto-stacked with DSS Live is a good part of the astro-imaging experience.  I also have a Mallicam Xtreme BUT the resolution is far better on-screen w/ the 428Ex with considerably fewer bad pixels!

bwa