Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 460 EX - how fast?  (Read 9792 times)

ArvidF

Atik 460 EX - how fast?
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »
Hello - I am new to this forum, and will most likely get the 460 EX quite soon (have the SBIG ST-8300C now, but the shutter is malfunctioning and there are other issues as well - very dissapointed with that vendor). Have two lingering questions:

- Download time for images from ATIK 460 EX color camera?

- Cool down time (e.g. cooling to -20 ° C below the ambient temperature)?

ruitripa

• Atik Staff
    • Atik Cameras
Re: Atik 460 EX - how fast?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:24 pm »
Hi,

Download time is aproximately 6 seconds.

Regarding cooling, Sony sensors have a substantially different behaviour from Kodak. While on Kodak sensors you usually have a benefit from cooling as much as you can, on Sony sensors that's really not the case. At 0ºC the sensor already has very good performance, way better than the KAF8300 at the same temp! So, the 460EX doesn't have a deep cooling level, cooling to a stable 25ºC below ambient. But replying to your question, max cooling is achieved within less than 5 minutes.
Rui Tripa

ArvidF

Re: Atik 460 EX - how fast?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

Thanks for the answer!

That is wonderful news - but to me deep cooling is neccesary from time to time to keep pace with the most frigid winter nights as I do imaging down to around -25 degrees celsius (yes, that is colder than in my deep fridge, but with enough clothes it is a bit chilly but still rather cosy). The summers are warmer, though.

The Atik 460 EX seems to be a great camera, and if your claim about operational temperature is right (and I have no reason to think otherwise) it seems to be what I am going for - definitely ordering mine within a few weeks!