Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Atik 460EX OSC - M13  (Read 13204 times)

chrisjbaileyuk

Atik 460EX OSC - M13
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »
After weeks of cloud, finally got to put the 460EX OSC through a bit of a test on M13. 11 x 180sec frames captured in Artemis Capture and processed in PixInsight. No flats, bias or darks used. FLT110 guided with PHD/Lodestar and TSOAG on EQ6.

Have to say I am very impressed, sensitive with good low noise levels and very few warm pixels. Cooling stayed solid at -10c.

Steve

• Atik Staff
Re: Atik 460EX OSC - M13
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:33:04 pm »
Hello Chris,

Glad you like the camera.  Great picture especially as no calibration frames were used.  I thought I saw a faint satellite track but it turned out to be a mark on my monitor :)
Cheers
Steve

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »
Steve, no there is a sat trail in there. Was 12 subs but managed to get a jet inbound to Norwich on one of them! This was a very quick process to see how the camera performed, I'm sure I could get rid of it altogether given a different stacking method, I have done calibration frames but they are not as critical as they are on say the 383 which makes it a very convenient way of making the most of imaging time, chris

bwa

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:32:23 am »
Nice image!  Good focus/tracking!  Great processing!

bwa

Steve

• Atik Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:32:24 am »
I hope it was't a Cessna inbound to Seething....    :-[    ;D
Steve

Steve, no there is a sat trail in there. Was 12 subs but managed to get a jet inbound to Norwich on one of them! This was a very quick process to see how the camera performed, I'm sure I could get rid of it altogether given a different stacking method, I have done calibration frames but they are not as critical as they are on say the 383 which makes it a very convenient way of making the most of imaging time, chris

ruitripa

• Atik Staff
    • Atik Cameras
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:20 am »
Very nice! You managed to get a few galaxies in that picture. Impressive for 180s subs on a OSC camera!  8)
Rui Tripa

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:08:33 am »
Rui- I was impressed too. Good combination of low noise but good sensitivity, slightly longer subs and/or more of them would have helped. That is just 36minutes of integration. Love the format of the 460 and being OSC it makes the most of short imaging sessions. Specs looked good on paper, nice that it is as good in reality.

Steve - no, definately a jet on the long sweep southerly inbound to norwich, right through the middle of the frame! Knocked the guiding out too.

Guy Walsh

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:38:14 am »
Excellent result, I have the 428 junior version,  it's a year old nearly and was hoping more OSC 4 series would be put through there paces, I use pixinsight & Astroart V5 for stacking as the master flats & bias files produced are awesome..

I'm interested into how your getting on with it now? What's your favourite workflow?

Cheers
Guy

chrisjbaileyuk

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
Guy

I am liking the little 460 a lot. For me its a nice pairing with a 383L. One is OSC, the other is mono, the 460 has about 1/4 of the FOV on my W/OFTL110 triplet as the 383 does on my FSQ85. Between them I have a good range of targets, both scopes are mounted together with a little ZS70 as a guide scope so I can literally swap between them in a few seconds.

I process everything now in Pixinsight and dont really have a set workflow, depends what it is and how many frames I have. With the OSC exposure is pretty key to gaining object detail whilst not blowing out the brighter stars so vary between 2-3 minutes for clusters and globs to 5-6 minutes for galaxies to 10 minutes for nebs.

Chris