Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Where to get desiccant tablets for Atik 460EX?  (Read 13294 times)

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
Where to get desiccant tablets for Atik 460EX?
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »
Where can I get desiccant tablets for Atik 460EX? If you have the dimensions (diameter and height) for the tablets, maybe I can Google for it and find a retailer in USA.

I just received Atik 460EX mono and took my very first Ha image of Bubble Nebula last weekend with C-8 EdgeHD and it turned out pretty good. See the image at:

http://peternagy.smugmug.com/Telescopes/Nebulae/15823498_3vBdTQ#!i=2046379851&k=g67zrkZ&lb=1&s=A

I just wanted to have extra desiccant tablets so I can easily replace the old one when needed.

Thanks,
Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Astrodon LRGB, Ha 3nm, 5nm, Oiii 3nm, 5nm, Sii 3nm, 5nm
Nebulosity, PHD and PixInsight
Astro-Physics Mach1GTO GEM
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
SXVR-M25C CCD color camera
Lodestar autoguider
Hutech OAG with Helical focuser

bwa

Re: Where to get desiccant tablets for Atik 460EX?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:34:07 am »
Very nice 1st Ha image!

bwa

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »
Thanks!

Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
Lodestar autoguider

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »
To Atik:

Can you at least give us the dimension (diameter and height) of desiccant tablet for Atik 460EX cameras so I can look for it in USA.

Do you supply desiccant tablets to USA retiailers like Starizona, OPT or other authorized USA Atik retailers?

Thanks,
Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
Lodestar autoguider

andysea

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:50:37 am »
Peter,
OPT does not have the tablets. They don't even know how to get them in fact they were trying to contact Atik to find out more. They were very nice about it.
I think that other US resellers would be in the same boat.
You can try to contact TS. They are super responsive and ship incredibly fast.
I asked Atik if recharging them is the same as replacing but I never heard back from them. I typically get about 50~60% of my questions answered. I will let you know if I ever hear back.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:24:30 am by andysea »
Tak NJP, AP Mach1+trl36, Kenko Skymemo
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

Konihlav

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:38 am »
where does this fashion come from? (to put desiccant everywhere)

I have had Atik 314L+ for over three years, using it without any dewing/fogging issue - OK once it dewed up but it was because I let the camera open on a wet-table prior mounting it to FW and telescope while the humidity just fell on the front cover window of the camera (the chip is SMALL!) and now I got Atik 460EXM. In spite of the fact that this camera has the possibility of replacing a desiccant plug I do not ever expect I will have to do it ever (460EXM is still a small size chip). PROVIDED all the platform 4 Atik technology is the same as platform 3 (Atik 3xx cameras) then I do not expect any issues with dew at all. And I live in the most humid environment taking images on the field! I had problems with full sized camera as long as it got much thicker cover glass and many watts of heating that resolved the issue now forever... but 36x24mm camera is different from tiny 12x10mm !!!

Putting desiccant is overkill (I hope ;D ) and worrying about needed replacement is "poor"...

andysea

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:09:44 pm »
I think you're correct. Small sensors are probably OK. My 383 dewed up the other day after only 4 months of use. Luckily the tablets can easily be recharged and according to Atik recharging them is better than replacing.

Andy
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »
I just wanted to be better safe than sorry. It does not hurt to have extra desiccant tablets hanging around. Fortunately I live in a dry area in Northern Nevada, USA.

Do desiccants get stale and deteriorate as they get older? Do they turn into powder as they get older? Is it something to watch out for and check the tablet periodically? If they turn into powder, will they leak into the camera? I know there is a filter in desiccant chamber but is it good enough against powder?

At least Atik should include extra desiccant tablets for every camera they sell.

I wish Atik is reading and responding to this. SX always respond very quickly from their SX Yahoo Groups.

Thanks,
Peter
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:47:54 pm by topboxman »
Atik 460EX mono
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
Lodestar autoguider

andysea

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:20 pm »
Those are all good points. I didn't think about the life span of the desiccant. SBIG has a similar system I believe. I would be curious to know the answers to those questions too.
If I were you however I would not open the desiccant chamber unless necessary. As far as I know the only way to know if the desiccant needs to be recharged is that you see frost on your sensor. Unfortunately that could mean a lost imaging session. Im starting to think that I always need to bring a backup camera with me.
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »
Hi Andy,

I agree with you. The only question remains is whether desiccant tablet will turn into powder as it gets too old. I would think baking desiccant would shorten the life and eventually deteriorate. Baking at high temperature several times is pretty harsh on these tablets.

I migrated from SXVR-M25C OSC camera and this camera does not have desiccant tablets or never had nitrogen purged and never have frost issues. These cameras are sealed with silicon seals. That's why I have questions about handling desiccant tablets.

Since I live in dry area, I may not even need desiccant tablets in my Atik camera.

Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
Lodestar autoguider

andysea

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:21:05 pm »
I didn't think about the fact that baking might shorten the life of the tablets.
Unlike you I live in a pretty humid area and I'm sure this will be an ongoing issue.
All good points!
Tak TOA-130, AT10RC.
Atik 383L+ color & mono
Various Canon L lenses
Lodestar
Canon T2i, 5D2, XS
more astro stuff....

Steve

• Atik Staff
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:27 pm »
Hello,
The story with desiccants so far is.   All the Atik cameras produced have had desiccant it them.    The old 3 series and large format had the desiccant fitted from inside the camera where it was not really user serviceable.  However on these camera we have had very few instances where the desiccant has needed changing.
When we came to design the Atik 383 we were getting comments that user changeable desiccant is perceived as a positive feature and so this was added to the design.  As it happened that large CCD chamber in this camera could absorb more moisture and benefited from changeable desiccant.   
Having an externally accessible desiccant port makes the cameras slightly easier to assemble so we are added this feature to all the cameras designs. 
We get the desiccant from the manufacturer packed in foil to last several years and include spares with the Atik383 which does tend to use its desiccant.   Our tests with regeneration at 190 degrees C for 90 min indicate that capacity is then even better than when taken from the foil packets.
I hope this is useful info.
Best
Steve

topboxman

• Peter's Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:11:09 pm »
Thanks Steve for providing valuable information about desiccants.

Peter
Atik 460EX mono
Celestron 8" EdgeHD OTA
Lodestar autoguider

brown_rb

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 01:20:55 am »
Steve:

Can you provide details where one can order these desiccant tablets in foil?
I am sure there are some of us who have ATIK cameras that would like to purchase some.

Kubach

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »
Thanks to Steve I have no more moisture in my 383l. I took his advice and put the tablets in the oven at 190C for 90 min. While still hot I placed them back into the camera and left the camera in its PELI case for a day (inside the house)!  MAGIC - the dry chamber is now DRY!! 8)

Mark