Atik Cameras

Author Topic: USB 2 Line Extender (Icron Ranger) with ATIK 11000  (Read 10821 times)

Nightskyimager

USB 2 Line Extender (Icron Ranger) with ATIK 11000
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »
Hi,
Wondering if anyone else has tried putting a USB2 line extender (uses standard CAT5 cable) between an ATIK 11000 camera and a computer. I have tired without any success using both ATIK and MaximDL software. I can get a computer to recognize the camera using a USB1 line extender however. Image download time using a USB1 connection takes more than two minutes per full frame which is undesirable. This is probably a question for ATIK technical support. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

NickK

Re: USB 2 Line Extender (Icron Ranger) with ATIK 11000
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 07:09:18 pm »
I would recommend a powered hub - I've noted the same when I've attempted to use the Titan with two 5 meter active repeaters.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX

Nightskyimager

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:52 am »
Thank you for the suggestion. A powered hub does works perfectly well with the camera. The line extender is the only option that I could come up with that works over 100 foot distance. I'm puzzled as to why a USB1 line extender works with this camera (which does support usb2) where the USB2 line extender does not.

Kinch

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:17 am »
Hi Mark,

I think it really comes down to the quality of the extender that you use. For example - I had no end of trouble with a simple hub because it was a cheap Chinese type - when changed to something more robust (and just a few Euro more) - problem disappeared. For the extender - here is a link to one highly recommended on an American board once - I had made a note of it and my link is to Amazon UK. I subsequently actually bought a much cheaper one (I did not need four ports for a start) but have not got to try it out yet. I am presently away from home so cannot report on what I actually bought anytime soon. However, like I said, IMHO, I think solving your problem may come down to just spending some more money for a quality extender. (Of course I am saying this not knowing what you actually bought - so forgive me if I am way off the mark here.) The link...   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-Port-Extender-over-Cat5/dp/B004EFZC5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370928198&sr=8-2&keywords=startech+usb+to+cat5
Regards.
ATIK 450M  Tak EM200 Temma II
Tak FSQ106ED     Tak FS60CB

Nightskyimager

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:16:10 am »
Sorry for the really late reply. Thank you for the suggestion. I have the exact line extender shown on your link. It too does not work. I sent a message to ATIK technical support for a recommendation; but, they have not replied. I will phone them directly. They are not in the habit of responding to email it appears. Thanks again.
Mark

NickK

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:37:04 pm »
Hi Mark, I would contact the support team. Perhaps they have experience of working with this device.

I would be interested in knowing the latency timings of devices such as these for my OSX drivers.
ATIK 383L+, Titan, 16IC, EFW2, OAG | Pentax 105SDP | NEQ6
Author of the ATIK OSX Drivers and AOSX - Astronomy on OSX