Atik Cameras

Author Topic: Horizon no image  (Read 3735 times)

bombarde32

Horizon no image
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:44:58 pm »
Hello,

I´m new here and a user of Atik Horizon camera.
I have the following problem: At the beginning when I bought the camera I had no problem to get an image. I used it not very often, but now I cannot get any picture. The Camera connects with Infinity, Artemis, Sharpcap, APT, etc., but the DIsplay is black.
The PC works with Windows 10, the actual ASCOM Standard is installed.

I have read about similar problem here in the forum and in the internet. But I didn´t find a solution for this...
Can someone help me?

Thanks and CS,

Markus 

dpaul

Re: Horizon no image
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:45:18 pm »
Hi Markus

I had this problem last week but it was a problem I had with the filter wheel connectivity - I'd accidentally nudged the lead to the filter wheel and I thought was ok but then I had to re-start the system then all was good.

So are you using a filter wheel, if so then possibly the wheel is stuck between stations?  You could hand position to a blank slot then connect the camera 'only' to see if you get data in the image.

Regards

David

bombarde32

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 04:28:38 pm »
Hi David,

thanks for reply. I believe there is a problem with the ASCOM Driver. Most of the time I have no image/black image, but one time it could make a shoot with APT. But then APT told me, that it could not start any exposure and especially no live view.
Either I cannot go to the camera/Ascom-settings because of freeze...
Very strange: I have the same problem in Artemis and Infinity...but they don´t use the ASCOM drivers ??? ??? ???
Maybe a problem with Windows 10???
I don´t use a filter wheel with this camera.
I sent a mail to ATIK support...but no answer till now.

Sorry for my bad english...

Markus
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:30:53 pm by bombarde32 »

Noah4x4

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:52:04 pm »
Are you using the latest Atik Core Software and ASCOM drivers?  A number of us had problems with Sharpcap and Sequence Generator Pro until we downloaded the very latest version of each. There was also some versions where Infinity did some odd things.

Over exposure can manifest as all white or (oddly) all black. It is easy to over expose given the Horizons sensitivity.

I ran into similar (no image) trouble when I increased the length of USB3 cable. Even 'active' cables proved troublesome.

One other thought, what computer are you using? You mention 'freezes.  I was initially running mine with a 7i5 processor and 4Gb RAM. I shortened the length of stacked exposures and suffered the same.  I increased to 8Gb RAM, but it still ran slowly. I didn't get the (near) real time performance I sought when stacking extremely short exposures until I upgraded to a 8i7 with 16 Gb RAM. That step cured a myriad of nuisances!

If none of these apply, suggest you call Atik Support.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:55:56 pm by Noah4x4 »

Magnetar Imaging

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:38:23 pm »
I know it has been a while since it has been talked about but I just received my Horizon II.  I too was getting no image. At first, it was working fine then the image went dark. I was rather puzzled about this. I found out the camera likes the proper power and USB 3.0 hub. I was using the PEGASUS ASTRO POCKET POWERBOX ADVANCE and it did not like it at all. It would not connect to the USB 3.0 hub and it apparently does not like the power to the tec. I plugged it into another USB 3.0 hub and went back to my Atik power supply and it works fine now.  My Titan had no problem with the POWERBOX, but the Horizon II does not like it one bit.